Author Topic: Highest current for hotplate+stir method  (Read 720 times)

Offline Yoikyasi

• Participant
Highest current for hotplate+stir method
« on: March 07, 2021, 05:13:08 AM »
Up until this point i have only ever made silver at 15ma. 1ppm per minute... to make 320ppm it takes of course 5.5hrs...

I am doing this with a magnetic stirrer and hotplate close to boiling point... shouldn't i be able to run at higher current?
Like how high is too high though?

Offline SaltyCornflakes

• Expert
  • Participant
Re: Highest current for hotplate+stir method
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 10:49:11 AM »
Too high is when the reduction can't keep up with production. I recently ran 320PPM at 25mA and it was too fast. I got a bitter product, which means leftover ions.

15mA is already quite fast. Normally I run at 5mA.

Offline Yoikyasi

• Participant
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 01:45:07 AM »
Thanks for the reflection.... hey u know im already getting great results.... if it aint broke dont fix it right?

Offline emanwols

• Participant
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 12:03:19 AM »
Too high is when the reduction can't keep up with production. I recently ran 320PPM at 25mA and it was too fast. I got a bitter product, which means leftover ions.

15mA is already quite fast. Normally I run at 5mA.
i make my runs at 98mA with what was a 100gram bullion bar .no problems at all

Offline SaltyCornflakes

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 09:19:06 AM »
It's important to add how much volume of water you use. If you use a massive amount of water and reducer, you can up the ampere. Also if you use a quick reducer vs. a rather slow one. And so on. Please tell us more. I'm happy to be proven wrong here. ;)

Offline emanwols

• Participant
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2021, 11:42:50 PM »
It's important to add how much volume of water you use. If you use a massive amount of water and reducer, you can up the ampere. Also if you use a quick reducer vs. a rather slow one. And so on. Please tell us more. I'm happy to be proven wrong here. ;)
For my 320ppm runs i use 1200ml of dw,2ml of electrolyte,0.5 tsp of malto, a starting temp of 65*C ending temp of 85-90*C .the run is for 59mins at 17-20volts, 1 tbs 0f gelatine.
for the last batch of 100ppm (used as a spray disinfectant) made i ran 5000ml of dw,6-7ml of electrolyte,0.5tsp of malto, about 20-28volts. run was for 77mins at 97-98mA. start temp was 26-28*C end temp was 32-36*C(measured with a laser therm bought from a discount store).the temp variation was from the 6 consecutive batches i made. I use a magnetic heated stir plate, All my production is in erlenmeyer flasks and for electrolyte i weigh 11gm of sodium carb and top up with 100ml of dw. most of my measurements are not strictly accurate but i get good results most of the time. When i mistakenly run at higher temps i sometimes get turbidity or opalescence.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 11:52:53 PM by emanwols »

Offline Yoikyasi

• Participant
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2021, 04:27:09 AM »
Im running 1000ml at a time... 15ma for 5.5 hrs... thanks for your replies yall... at this point im having issues with Ionic Silver Oxide precipitate so i dont really know that i wanna go higher till i get that under control... a tempurature issue i believ... hopfully next run i will pay attention to temp more...