Author Topic: Colloidal Gold From Benefiber and Karo Syrup  (Read 4923 times)

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
Colloidal Gold From Benefiber and Karo Syrup
« on: April 25, 2012, 10:20:03 PM »
Apparently, maltodextrin varies considerably around the world and from different suppliers causing the maltodextrin/sodium carbonate formula to fail.

Here is a formula I just tested using dextrin (Benefiber) in place of maltodextrin.  Dextrin has little chemical reducing power of its own, so the reduction is done by the corn syrup instead if necessary.

250 ml hot distilled water
1 ml diluted* clear Karo corn syrup (may be unnecessary, depending on the dextrin)
1 ml 1% Gold Chloride solution
300 mg Benefiber (soluble fiber)
While heating and stirring, slowly drop 1M NaOH into solution a drop at a time.  (Approximately 16 to 20 drops) or until no more color change.

* Karo Dilution:  I diluted the corn syrup by adding 20 ml distilled water to 30 ml corn syrup to make it easier to dispense from a medicine dropper.

Edited to add:  Dextrin is not digestible, so gold particles capped in dextrin may not be released in the stomach!  Maltodextrin is digestible, so even though dextrin makes great nanoparticles, they may not be effective since they are not digestible.

There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
Re: Colloidal Gold From Benefiber and Karo Syrup
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 12:18:26 PM »
This is likely to be useful to me as I have no source of Maltodextrin. As the reduction is now done by the Corn syrup, what is the purpose of the dextrin? Capping agent/Stabiliser?

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 12:49:03 PM »
Dextrin is the steric stabilizer.  Without it, you will get blue colloidal gold.  Its sold in the US under the trade name Benefiber...  supposed to keep one 'regular'.

The formulas I gave for maltodextrin are based on Carbo-Gain brand, but the properties of maltodextrin vary greatly, so the formula doesn't necessarily work for other brands.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 08:18:56 PM »
Thanks

ShivaDestructor

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 09:25:19 PM »
I just did a rather ugly batch with my homemade dextrine - it turned purple alright, but then stayed at a redbrown stage.

On the other hand, 10 minutes after that I made my best colloidal gold ever - it really looked the business! I've made six batches colloidal gold in total right now using the maltodextrine and dextrine formula.
In chronological order:
1. Maltodextrine 125 mg - amethyst.
2. Maltodextrine 125 mg - amethyst.
3. Maltodextrine 250 mg - grey.
4. Maltodextrine 60 mg + 60 mg at the end - deep ruby red with a slight blue hint.
5. Invert sugar+Dextrine 300 mg - redbrown.
6. Maltodextrine 60 mg, premixed with Na2CO3 in DW, added when boiling - beautiful crystal clear red.

The reason for my failures seems to be due to three factors:
1. My maltodextrine has more reducing power than the one Kephra uses.
2. I had too low temperature in my first three batches (not having flat glassware on my heating plate).
3. Speed - when I got to adding the Na2CO3 in batch 3, it had already turned a dark purple with ONLY the maltodextrine.

Making colloidal gold seems more "artistic" than making colloidal silver :).

/J

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 09:35:52 PM »
Making colloidal gold seems more "artistic" than making Colloidal Silver
Yep, there's the science, and then there's the art.