Author Topic: Interesting Voltage and Current Regulator  (Read 2737 times)

Offline Mer2112

• Participant
Interesting Voltage and Current Regulator
« on: September 21, 2018, 08:12:50 PM »
Good Afternoon,

I figured since we're coming to an end here, I'd throw one more thing out there.

I came across this interesting looking voltage and current regulator today. There's a couple YouTube videos out that go through it, but it looks like you're able to set the voltage and amperage and it does the rest. Gives you the actual reading too while it's running. You still have to supply the DC power that's greater than what you'll need, but it looks pretty cool.

I just ordered one so it'll be interesting to mess around with.

https://www.banggood.com/DPS3003-32V-3A-Buck-Adjustable-DC-Constant-Voltage-Power-Supply-Module-Integrated-Voltmeter-Ammeter-p-1062475.html?rmmds=detail-left-hotproducts__1&cur_warehouse=CN

There's a 12% off coupon on the page too.

Enjoy!

Offline WayneInPHX

• Expert
  • Participant
  • Witty saying goes here... Ok--> "42"
Re: Interesting Voltage and Current Regulator
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 09:32:44 AM »
You may well find that it is not stable / accurate.  If you can check it against calibrated equipment, it might prove useful.
Most of us don’t listen with the intent to understand.  We listen with the intent to reply.  -  From a TED Talk

"I've decided I'm not old. I'm 25 plus shipping & handling!"

Offline sneezewort

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 07:49:31 PM »
Looks interesting, Mer, but I can't see any mention of the input voltage. I am assuming that 32 volts is the output voltage and it would normally be connected directly to the 230 volt supply.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 08:30:08 PM »
It has to be powered with a DC supply, with more voltage than you want to get out of it.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Offline sneezewort

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2018, 10:11:07 PM »
Thanks. Kephra, that clears that up. Thought it might have a 32 volt PSU built in. I have a 32 volt plug supply, so that's fine. Will order one if they turn out to be OK. Just waiting to see what Mer makes of it.

Offline Stagno

• Expert
  • Participant
  • When the answer is simple God is speaking:Einstein
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 10:59:50 PM »
Please let us know how well it works Mer.
"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

Marilyn vos Savant

Offline Gene

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 05:49:30 AM »
The current limit on that has a resolution of 1ma. Thats way too coarse for a good Colloidal Silver supply.  I'd like to see 0.01ma.

Offline Mer2112

• Participant
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2018, 04:24:41 PM »
It has the same resolution as the SilverTron Elite, 1mA. I would think that as long as you check the accuracy initially against a known measuring device and adjust for any inconsistency, making good colloidal silver is very possible.

Offline sneezewort

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2018, 08:43:19 PM »
Just ordered a regulator. Might be some time before it arrives, though.

Offline Dean

• Expert
  • Participant
    • Social SilverTron Facebook Portal
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2018, 09:55:25 PM »

[\quote]
Precision and accuracy are two entirely different things.

If you wanted to measure the length of something with a yardstick, which would be more precise, a yardstick with only inch markings, or one with markings every 1/8th of an inch.  That,s a difference in precision.

Now consider a yardstick that was actually 37 inches long but was divided into 36 parts graduated in 1/8th inches.  That would have the same precision, but would be less accurate.

Do you see the difference between precision and accuracy?

So you should connect a precision (and accurate) meter between your power supply and your anode.

Thats a great analogy!

Offline Art

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2018, 01:29:00 AM »
It has the same resolution as the SilverTron Elite, 1mA. I would think that as long as you check the accuracy initially against a known measuring device and adjust for any inconsistency, making good colloidal silver is very possible.
No, the accuracy of the SilverTron is within 2% of indicated value.

You are also confusing set point with accuracy.  SilverTrons have 15 setpoints for current spaced in 1 ma increments.

Precision and accuracy are two entirely different things.

The meters in the lab power supplies with two digits of display past the decimal point are +- 1 digit.  So if it reads .01, it might be .005 or it might be .015.  That is not precise enough for low value currents.  0.005 might display as .01.  .015 might display as .02 or might display as .01.

If you wanted to measure the length of something with a yardstick, which would be more precise, a yardstick with only inch markings, or one with markings every 1/8th of an inch.  That,s a difference in precision.

Now consider a yardstick that was actually 37 inches long but was divided into 36 parts graduated in 1/8th inches.  That would have the same precision, but would be less accurate.

Do you see the difference between precision and accuracy?

So you should connect a precision (and accurate) meter between your power supply and your anode.

I went with the Silvertron Elite for precision and accuracy!

Art

Offline xozhang3

• Participant
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2018, 02:48:59 PM »
I was interested in this device during the time when Silvertron Elite became unavailable.  I got a Silvertron for backup just for the ease of use in addition to the precision and accuracy now it is available again.

Offline sneezewort

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2018, 05:08:37 AM »

Well, the voltage/current regulator arrived yesterday but I haven't yet got round to trying it. I had insured against duty charges, but there weren't any. :) The instructions should have been proof-read before publishing, but I don't think it will be a problem. Anyway, I'll be using unit over the coming week-end and get back with the verdict.

Offline sneezewort

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2018, 04:16:21 PM »

Well, the voltage/current regulator arrived yesterday but I haven't yet got round to trying it. I had insured against duty charges, but there weren't any. :) The instructions should have been proof-read before publishing, but I don't think it will be a problem. Anyway, I'll be using unit over the coming week-end and get back with the verdict.

Not happy at the moment. I have inputted 35 volts DC from a psu, but no sign of life whatever. I have loaded the meter with a 12 volt cooling fan, but absolutely no joy. Ideas, anyone? :(

Offline sneezewort

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2018, 11:34:43 PM »
O.K. Stand easy! The problem was down to pilot error. I re-checked the PSU (a wall-wart) and it's 35 volts, but only rated at 0.1 amp, (3.6 watts). Tried another supply and the regulator works perfectly. Sorry about that, folks.  :-[