Author Topic: cleaning the silver  (Read 2420 times)

wyleasmom

cleaning the silver
« on: July 28, 2017, 10:14:01 AM »
Making my 4th batch...got a magnetic stirrer, turned my mA down to prevent the smoke line, adjusted my volts to 10-12. My negative rod is only in the water less than an inch to get it to 10-12 volts, positive rode is black...I saw a youtube video where kephra held his bar to the flames on the stove until the black went away but I don't have a gas stove, so I tried a lighter, didn't seem to work. what is best way to clean the black off? I tried using the search took for cleaning cathode, cleaning silver, but nothing came up, perhaps I'm not using the search correctly. Still getting used to the forum.
Thank you!
Lori

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
Re: cleaning the silver
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 11:26:24 AM »
You can use a propane torch, but a lighter does not produce enough heat and will only cover your electrode in carbon soot.

Lacking a propane torch, you can use a plastic scrubber, but never copper.  The electrode does not have to be bright and shiny, you just need to get the loose stuff off that could fall off into the water.

Rinse well with distilled water before using it again.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

wyleasmom

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 05:02:03 AM »
ok, got me a torch to clean off the especially black rod after each batch. I noticed on your youtube demo when you flamed your silver troy ounce that it became shiny again. The rods I guess don't turn shiny again ever? They are just like a greyish white? I know you said that's normal I believe but just curious why? And how will one know when its time to get new rods?
As always, Thank you!

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 11:47:51 AM »
They don't get shiny again because the surface is etched and grainy.  When using it, crystals of silver oxide collect on the surface, then when you heat the electrode, these grains become pure silver but still grains.

You need new ones when they become too small to use.  The negative electrode should never wear out though, since it does not release silver.  When your positive electrode wears out, you can substitute a copper wire for the negative electrode, and use the old silver negative electrode for the positive.

There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

wyleasmom

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 10:26:11 AM »
Thanks Kephra,
One more quick question I thought of as I read your reply. I don't think I use the same rod for negative and the same one for positive each time I use it, as I take them out of their little storage container. Should I be using the same one for negative and same one for positive each time?
Lori

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 12:02:16 PM »
You don't have to, it doesn't make any difference.