Author Topic: 320ppm muddy green tint  (Read 2067 times)

Tanya232

320ppm muddy green tint
« on: October 24, 2018, 10:42:45 AM »
Hi all,

I made my first ever batch of Colloidal Silver yesterday following the instructions for 320ppm Colloidal Silver.

When I dilute 1 tsp in 250ml of water it looks as it should, very clear like the colour of baby shampoo. Undiluted though, it's very muddy looking, with a greenish tint, like dirty water.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal? I've attached some photos.

I'm going to have it tested for particle size and ppm and will post the results, but it costs £250 to do this, so I'd like to know in advance if what I made looks ok.

Thanks in advance.

Tanya

Tanya232

Re: 320ppm muddy green tint
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 10:43:26 AM »
This is the diluted one

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 11:00:04 AM »
The colour of the diluted product looks correct. I would suggest you check it by making another batch and watching the colour as it is produced. If there are no contaminants and the current is flowing the correct way, then there cant be anything other than AgNP in there.

Tanya232

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 02:41:26 PM »
I used the Knox unflavoured gelatine, it turned yellow then the colour below within the first hour. Heat was up to around 200F. The voltage did keep jumping around when I turned up the stirring but it was generally between 10-12v.

Batch was 500ml and I used 1/2 tsp of gelatine. I used a silver bar with a large surface area but my cell is 1l and it was only submerged a quarter of the way.

I used a tuppaware lid to fit the cell as the one provided is too small.

Washed everything twice in steam distilled water.

I have a feeling it's something to do with the gelatine..

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 02:51:49 PM »
The dilution should be 1 tablespoon per 250ml of the silver, not 1 teaspoon.
The murkiness is caused by large silver or silver oxide particles in the water.
Did you also use Karo or maltodextrin along with the gelatine?  Gelatine is a very poor reducing agent.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Tanya232

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 05:16:08 PM »
Karo light. So you're saying that I  should have used two tablespoons for 500ml. Is the murkiness what you would expect to see with too little gelatine then?

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 06:39:04 PM »
Karo light. So you're saying that I  should have used two tablespoons for 500ml. Is the murkiness what you would expect to see with too little gelatine then?
No, I did not say to use 2 tablespoons.  I said that when diluting the 320 to 20, you need 1 tablespoon of the 320 in 250ml of water to make 250 ml of 20 ppm.

How much Karo did you use?
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Tanya232

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 09:03:53 PM »
Ah ok sorry yes I'm with you. I used 30 drops of the karo/water mix in 500ml dw.  I can't see where o have gone wrong..

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2018, 09:28:57 PM »
Well, I don't see anything wrong with your chemistry then.
Did you use a bullion bar, or a different source of silver?
Being submerged only 1/4 should not be a problem.  I have made perfect 320 with just a silver wire at 15ma.

Tanya232

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2018, 09:48:32 PM »
I used a specially made silver bar. Unless it's not pure 999 silver... I wouldn't think the guy I got it from would rip me off.. I'm going to try another batch of 320ppm tonight. Perhaps I should try it with the silver wires you supplied me with the silvertron and see how that turns out.

Thank you so much for all your help, all you guys on this forum are amazing x

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2018, 09:57:47 PM »
Good idea.  A lot of people are making 320 with my recipes and they have not had the problem you are having.  So something must be different.

Offline Dean

• Expert
  • Participant
    • Social SilverTron Facebook Portal
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2018, 10:57:10 PM »
Tanya,

I remember now, you mentioned getting a bullion made to the dimensions I gave in my videos on the setup I created with the new lid. I think you said it cost something like £75. If this was the first batch you have made with it then do a batch again using the same Chemistry but with your Silvertron electrodes.

The reason I question this is that my new bar cost almost double that. I have no idea if that was good value or if I got ripped off with the cost of it but I was absolutely guaranteed that it was .999 fine silver. If yours was half that cost but came from a reliable source, perhaps the .999 requirement wasn't completely understood by your supplier and the've just given hallmarked silver. (potentially not .999) This is just a thought, I may be totally off track but think about it.

If you go back to basics then you are only changing one thing (the anode). At least then you can categorically rule that out anything else as a possible culprit.
When I'm doing a dilution, I base it on ml. I just prefer the accuracy of it.

To dilute your 320ppm to 20ppm it would be 234ml water / 15ml 320 silver - 15 / 1  (or 15 parts water to 1 part silver).
As I only ever want a quick check and taste the same can be achieved by dividing down so....

234ml / 15ml becomes.....

117ml / 7.5ml can also become....

58.5 / 3.75ml

All will equal a 15 / 1 ratio.

I just weigh the water and draw out the silver with a syringe. Dead quick and always consistent.

Additionally, I'm not sure how you got the dilution to be so clear. It's absolutely the correct colour for 20ppm "as made" but.....
The reason I say this is that gelatine will generally produce a darker colour so even if you dilute it to the correct ratio, it will generally always be darker!
(your silver particles are capped by this time so the light is absorbed differently.

Take a look a this image in my gallery of a 20ppm dilution against 20ppm "as made"

https://www.gemsdalephotography.co.uk/Client/HOS/Private/SilverTron/SilvertronElite/n-RBppw6/i-bhWTzw5/A

Also, I've found making any silver with maltodextrin instead of karo also results in a slightly different tint. I've learned this is just the impact / effect of the different reducing agent.

Hope this helps.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 11:06:36 PM by Dean »

Tanya232

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2018, 11:57:21 PM »
That's really helpful thank you.

I've cleaned everything with dw within an inch of its life, prepped the karo, carbonate and ready to go in the morning with the silver kephra supplied. All being well, I'll do another batch after that using the silver bar and then I'll know if that's the problem. Hope not - the jeweller has my wedding ring to melt into another new ring for my husband - I could end up with a steel ring and fake diamonds, that would be just my luck!

Tanya232

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2018, 12:20:55 PM »
The 320ppm turned out successful using the wires supplied by kephra - black coffee st 320 and baby shampoo at 20. Photos attached.

Thanks everyone for your guidance x

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2018, 12:26:15 PM »
That's perfect!  Congrats.