Author Topic: Current limiter question  (Read 2064 times)

Offline John2545

• Participant
Re: Current limiter question
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2023, 05:26:28 AM »
Problem #3 was the current limiter. I made somewhere around a dozen of them and it seemed so simple that I tried to make them better. I used PEMF Silvers pictures. At the end of the day something wasn’t right right, they weren’t reading correctly. Even when I completely cloned what I saw in the picture and soon I realized his wire colors were diffent from what I thought. In one of his pics he has blue and black wires, I thought black always meant negative and assumed blue was positive. The blue was actually the negative. Finally I made my own just like his, slightly different which I plan on posting pictures later. FINALLY, everything was working.

Offline John2545

• Participant
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2023, 05:33:30 AM »
After all this and a little more I finally had some good Colloidal Silver production.
Now I have some new questions I wanted to ask if anyone can help. Nothing too critical. I’ve spent countless hours searching for answers.

I’ll start with this one;

#1 Just want to confirm the purpose of a current limiter, the whole purpose of it is to stabilize the current so that it’s not bouncing all over the place, right? Minimize the fluctuations is the purpose?

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2023, 07:57:27 AM »

#1 Just want to confirm the purpose of a current limiter, the whole purpose of it is to stabilize the current so that it’s not bouncing all over the place, right? Minimize the fluctuations is the purpose?
Not exactly, the purpose is to keep the current constant at a known value so you can calculate the correct run time, and also to keep the current at an optimal level so as to produce the best Colloidal Silver with a low amount of Tyndall effect.  What the optimal level is depends on your electrode geometry, water temperature, stirring, etc.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Offline Gene

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2023, 09:40:07 PM »
We use Faraday's law of electrolysis to calculate the cell run time to make the specific amount of Colloidal Silver at the desired PPM. It provides a run time in minutes.

For Faraday's law of electrolysis to work the current through the cell MUST be held CONSTANT. Given a constant current, a PPM, the amount of water, Faraday's law tells you how long to run the cell to create the PPM you desire.

Without the current limiter, knowing exactly what PPM you made isn't exactly easy to figure out if even you could.

The above, of course is only one part of the process, temperature, the current setpoint, whether or not you're gel-capping, whether or not you're choosing to stir,... and other factors all play a part in making good quality Colloidal Silver.

The current limiter really can't be bought given the operating point we use it at, however, if you use the LM317LZ limiter, its all of 2 parts if you want to build it for a single fixed current or 3 parts if you want the current setpoint adjustable. This is about as simple as it gets.

Offline John2545

• Participant
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2023, 04:28:17 AM »

Offline John2545

• Participant
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2023, 04:30:47 AM »

Offline John2545

• Participant
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2023, 04:31:47 AM »

Offline John2545

• Participant
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2023, 06:15:10 AM »
Kephra, Gene, thank you I understand. We can’t utilize Faradays law wo constant current. Current Limiters give us constant current. Got it.

Offline Pemf silver

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2023, 06:54:49 PM »
Glad you figured it out 👍🏼
Sorry for the late response, just came back from a Cruise , and Ted I took my Colloidal Silver generator 👍🏼
Lots of folks coughing on board !

Offline John2545

• Participant
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2023, 04:13:33 PM »
Big thanks to you too, Pemf

Offline John2545

• Participant
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2023, 05:25:33 PM »
Another thing I wanted to mention regarding the current limiter is that I've seen some that where the negative lead is connected to the device. The one I made is completely separate, and my neg lead goes straight from the bench power supply straight to the cathode. Reason I mention this is because it really derailed me initially, I thought it HAD to be done that way.

Offline Pemf silver

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2023, 08:47:41 PM »
Yeap negative straight from power supply to cell .
Always go by the symbols on the schematic, I use lots of spare wires of all colors for my circuits.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2023, 09:17:00 PM by Pemf silver »