Author Topic: Gel capping, way too much from the formula?  (Read 1027 times)

Offline Turbidaceous

• Participant
  • Living in the UK
Gel capping, way too much from the formula?
« on: January 21, 2021, 08:28:48 PM »
I often here "use more, it won't hurt".

I use between 3-4 grams of gelatine in my 1L batches of colloidal silver. Because I saw a calculation formula on here which stated a minimum and maximum. But I see another thing on the newer tutorial which states:
Dissolve 1 gram of Knox unflavoured gelatine in 1 cup of cold water.
Allow to bloom for 5 minutes.
Heat until the gelatine dissolves (water looks clear again)
Allow to cool, and then bottle the gelatine liquid.
This is your gelatine stock solution.

Make the colloidal silver. While the colloidal silver is still hot, add 5 or 10 mls of the gelatine formula per 250ml of colloidal silver. Allow to cool.

So 1 cup is 237ml, so 1 gram divided by that, multiplied by 40ml for 1 litre of colloidal silver means 168 miligrams of gelatine only? Surely ppm has to factor into this somewhere?

Please could someone clarify the situation, with an eye towards making 320ppm? I just feel like the tutorial is confusing me as to how much gelatine I should be using when I make my 320ppm gel capped?

Offline Gene

• Expert
  • Participant
Re: Gel capping, way too much from the formula?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 08:40:05 PM »
This came from a post Kephra made a while ago...

Gelatine (mg):
   PPM * ml / [160...80 ]

So a minimum of "divided by 160" to a maximum of "divided by half that "

Yes, PPM plays a role in this because you need enough gelatine to properly coat/stabilize each Colloidal Silver particle and for sure, more particles (higher PPM) require more gelatine.

As usual, more won't hurt but unless you want to eat it with a spoon, stay away from using enough to make jello out of it (wink).

So, 1L of 20PPM would need (minimum) 125mg of silver (0.125g) where 1L of 320PPM would require (minimum) 2000mg (2.0g) using Kephra's formula as stated above.

Offline Turbidaceous

• Participant
  • Living in the UK
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 08:44:52 PM »
Excellent! I thought as much, I just wanted to clarify in case I am wasting gelatine. It's definitely liquid haha. btw I think you meant gelatine when you said: "So, 1L of 20PPM would need (minimum) 125mg of silver (0.125g)."

Offline Gene

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 08:17:21 AM »
Yup, sure did.  Oops.

Hopefully the formula helps.  I use it and it seems to work - at the lower concentration.

Offline Turbidaceous

• Participant
  • Living in the UK
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2021, 01:53:14 PM »
I just received a batch of Aloe Vera but now I am uncertain. I seem to get some people saying gel capped 320 works for a topical aloe-based cream but I am not entirely sure if I mix up a batch if I will be wasting silver and aloe? If I mix my usual 50ppm aloe vera gel up using 320 gel capped instead of 100ppm malto naked, will it be effective as a skin-applied gel?

Offline Gene

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2021, 06:04:57 PM »
I can attest to the fact that gel-capped 120PPM (what I normally make) works well topically on cuts,...  I just coat it (takes a drop or two) and let it dry then do that a second time to get a thick enough coat.  Seems to work like a medicated bandaid and cuts heal a LOT faster doing this.

If you wash your hands, there's a good chance you won't wash it off given the gelatine needs to bloom to fully let go but if its somewhere (hand,..) where it does come in contact with water, once the area is dry I put another drop on and do recoat every morning.

I was actually amazed how much it accelerated healing.

Offline Turbidaceous

• Participant
  • Living in the UK
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2021, 10:28:59 AM »
I am mainly thinking in terms of hand sanitiser as well as for when you get bacterial skin issues causing you to get sore. So for the hand sanitiser concept, I am hoping I have not wasted silver and aloe by mixing the two. The colour of this 50ppm batch of aloe gel using 320ppm gel capped looks identical to my 50/50 aloe and 100ppm malto (non-gel) version. I just hope this new gel capped one will at least be as effective as the non gel capped version.

bm777

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2021, 07:53:39 AM »
This came from a post Kephra made a while ago...

Gelatine (mg):
   PPM * ml / [160...80 ]

So a minimum of "divided by 160" to a maximum of "divided by half that "

Yes, PPM plays a role in this because you need enough gelatine to properly coat/stabilize each Colloidal Silver particle and for sure, more particles (higher PPM) require more gelatine.

As usual, more won't hurt but unless you want to eat it with a spoon, stay away from using enough to make jello out of it (wink).

So, 1L of 20PPM would need (minimum) 125mg of silver (0.125g) where 1L of 320PPM would require (minimum) 2000mg (2.0g) using Kephra's formula as stated above.

Hi all,
Just to clarify, for 1l @20ppm we need 125mg of gelatine. Are we talking about before mixing, or dissolved (mix 1g to 1cup)?
Or just pour the required 125mg of gelatine over the (Cold) Colloidal Silver?
Thanks

Offline Josie29

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2021, 05:18:41 PM »
The easiest for me is to add the already dissolved gelatin just after having reduced the Colloidal Silver in the microwave.

You might find that adding the required amount of gelatin powder over 'cold' Colloidal Silver doesn't work very well. The powder often clumps together and doesn't completely dissolve.

It is far more effective to add the gelatin powder to warm-to-hot Colloidal Silver. I usually sprinkle it into the Colloidal Silver on the hot plate as the magnetic stirrer is active.

Offline Gene

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2021, 08:53:00 PM »
I don't pre-dissolve. I sprinkle a dusting of the gelatine over the surface of the finished, reduced product, let it bloom a bit and sink then keep doing that until there is no more, wait a few minutes and stir with a wooden chopstick (or plastic) so that there's no temperature differential so none of the gelatine that might not have fully dissolved sticks to it, give it a good stir and call it even.

I believe (I'm sure the info is on the forum somewhere) that Kephra and others pre-dissolve the gelatine in cold water, letting it bloom for IIRC something like 5 minutes and then just add the correct amount to the finished Colloidal Silver.

It can even be stored in the fridge but I suspect it will soon start evolving life so its lifetime as a solution is limited.  Again too, this has been discussed on the forum somewhere and since I don't do it this way, sorry, I couldn't direct you.

If you're adding dry powder, you have to do it gradually because if it clumps, the clumps most likely won't fully dissolve.

Offline SaltyCornflakes

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2021, 10:33:49 PM »
For topical stuff, I would use a higher PPM no gel-cap spray, like reducing it either with cinnamon tincture, or something else, or even leaving a certain amount of it ionic since topically the more reactive ionic silver makes some sense. And a spray because you don't need much and the stuff is no more viscuous than water. Soaking a bandage or wetting a band-aid with Colloidal Silver is also very useful.

I poured boiling tea over my whole foot one time and laying tissues on the skin where I kept applying Colloidal Silver every half-hour or so, I both healed it very quickly but also had virtually no burning pain. There's a reason hospitals still use silver to treat burn victims. Works extremely well.

When I make gel-capped, I add the gelatin first and don't worry about overheating. It was mentioned before that close to boiling temp is harmful to gelatin structure, but I have reduced gel-capped Colloidal Silver close to boiling for hours and it has never been an issue.

I too follow the ppm x ml / (80 to 160, usually around 120) mg formula for gelatin powder. I used the smaller amount last time and it ended up a little bitter. It may have been too little dextrose, though.

bm777

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2021, 04:20:32 AM »
Thanks guys,

I think I will add the gelatin powder at the end using the above formula. Waiting for the Colloidal Silver to cool down a bit first...

Offline emanwols

• Participant
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2021, 06:18:13 PM »
Thanks guys,

I think I will add the gelatin powder at the end using the above formula. Waiting for the Colloidal Silver to cool down a bit first...
https://www.cgcsforum.org/index.php?topic=3911.15
Have a look at this