Author Topic: HOW TO MAKE COLLOIDAL SILVER if you can't get a SilverTron  (Read 47623 times)

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
Re: HOW TO MAKE COLLOIDAL SILVER if you can't get a SilverTron
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2020, 08:29:40 PM »
ASSEMBLY

Weigh the beaker or cafetiere and note the weight.

Pour the Distilled Water into the reaction flask or cafetiere up to the top of the anode, making sure that the crocodile clip or suspension wire of the anode is NOT IN THE WATER.

Weigh the water in the reaction vessel and note the weight of water, remembering to deduct the weight of the beaker if you have not set the scales using the TARE function. Note that (uniquely) for water, the weight in the metric system (in kilos) is the same as the volume (in litres). We cannot measure volume very well, but we can measure weight extremely accurately, so measuring water volume by weighing it is by far the easiest way to find the volume.

Put the reaction vessel on the hotplate but don't turn it on yet.

Raise the cathode upwards until only a quarter of an inch of the cathode is in the water.

Add the electrolyte and reducing agent to the distilled water.
(Do not add the gelatine until the end, if you are going to use gelatine as a capping agent).

Plug in (but don't switch on) the Power Supply Unit, and the hotplate.

Connect the red (+) pole of the power supply to the mA terminal of the ammeter.

Connect the COM (ground) of the ammeter to the ANODE (+). If the measurement of current displays as a negative value when the ammeter is turned on, swap the leads over at the ammeter.

Connect the CATHODE (-) to the black (-) pole of the Power Supply Unit.

Carefully note that the black wires connect the negative cathode to the black pole of the PSU, and the red wires go from the red pole of the PSU, through the ammeter, to the anode.

Turn on the hotplate and let it get hot; you do not necessarily have to wait until it has reached the simmer point (at approximately 115-140 degrees F). (To make Ionic Silver Oxide, carry out the same process, but keep the current very low and make the Ionic Silver Oxide at room temperature without any further heat, and in total darkness).

Turn on the ammeter and PSU. Adjust the cathode to obtain a voltage in excess of 10 volts, and using the instructions for the PSU, adjust the current for a suitable value. Too high and the batch will be spoiled, too low and you will die waiting. 3-5 mA is suitable for a small strip anode, 5-15 mA is suitable for a 1 toz silver bar or coin, 20-40 mA is suitable for a large plate anode, and up to 50 mA is suitable for very large electrode arrays. Check that the current climbs to the set-point and that the CC (Constant Current) light is illuminated.

At this point, ensure that you record:
The time (on the clock).
The current (in mA).
The weight of distilled water (in kilos) not including the weight of the reaction vessel or cafetiere.

NOW PERFORM THE CALCULATION as above. Work out the run-time and write it down.

Turn off any fluorescent lights and close the curtains to shut out any sunlight. Ultraviolet light may mess up the reaction. You should be operating the system in dim twilight; the silver anode will keep any vampires away.

Watch and wait, and sit entranced as the water slowly changes from colourless to a beautiful clear yellow and then (if you are making a large batch or high ppm) to the colour of Tennessee Sippin' Whisky (UK users will be watching for the colour of Drambuie or a Single Malt Scotch). You may consume some of this nourishment, if you feel that it will help you pass the time.

Being careful to keep your hands and clothing away from the hotplate, turn off the power to all units (especially do not forget to turn off the ammeter) when the runtime is done.

Allow to cool, filter any particles out and bottle. Store in a cool place. Do not refrigerate or freeze. Use clear glass or PET plastic bottles.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 12:44:49 PM by cfnisbet »

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2020, 10:26:12 AM »
FILTERING THE PRODUCT

The easiest and fastest way of filtering out any residue of silver oxide (the occasional black particles which may enter the Colloidal Silver) is to go to your local aquarium shop and buy 2 metres of silicone tubing (the soft flexible kind) and an aquarium oxygenating stone. Fit the stone pipe into the tubing, ensuring that you buy a filter stone that is thin enough to enter the mouth of your reaction vessel (if it is not a beaker).

To filter the finished Colloidal Silver, DON'T siphon the Colloidal Silver into the tube and out through the stone, you will never be able to clean the particles out of the stone and eventually you will have to throw the stone away. Instead, run it backwards. Gently lower the stone into the reaction vessel together with most of the tube. Put your finger over the end of the tube and then pull the tube back out of the reaction vessel, far enough out to use it as a siphon, with the open end of the tube lower than the reaction vessel and placed into the mouth of the storage bottle.

To stop the siphonic action, raise the storage bottle level with the Colloidal Silver in the reaction vessel, and the siphon will stop.

This is much more efficient and you can wash off any particles of silver oxide from the outside of the stone under a small stream of distilled water.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 08:51:03 AM by cfnisbet »

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2020, 10:31:07 AM »
This concludes the series of colloidal silver-making posts.

The thread is now open for comments, which will be answered within the question/comment. Comments will be heavily policed, not to stop legitimate comment or questions, but to keep the series easy to read. Any suggestions for improvements of the text or photos will be welcomed and amendments made accordingly.

I attach a photo of me in my colloidal silver-making den.

Happy Colloidal Silver Making!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 03:33:25 PM by cfnisbet »

Offline Turbidaceous

• Participant
  • Living in the UK
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2020, 11:36:14 AM »
Very nice to have a good resource like this. I am a bit concerned about bench power supplies though, based on what the company said about the one I bought and they said no bench power supply is designed for electrolysis and it causes damage. I think in time this power supply may croak due to the clicking. What should I do then?

Mine have lasted for years.
   I'm afraid I regard this equipment as a consumable item. The only purveyor of fairly good colloidal silver in the UK charges £40 per litre, incl postage. At this rate, the cost of a PSU is very reasonable.
   The clicking is due to the cycling of the relays internally to hold the current constant. It is a normal part of the process and the PSU is designed to have these relays opening and closing constantly.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 03:33:45 PM by cfnisbet »

Etheric Zone 1111

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2020, 08:25:41 PM »
Great tutorial!

Ok so I will be Working with a lab bench power supply :
The Anode & Cathode Are 10 Gauge 6” long :
Will be making 1 Liter At a time .

3 litres DW x 20 ppm x 15   =   180 minutes
                  5 mA
So for 1 liter of 20ppm , set the PSU for 30v At 15ma will take 60 minutes to complete ?

Thanks Ed ..

Yes, that calculation is correct, but you cannot set both voltage and current. You will be setting the current at 15mA and then let the voltage drop to where it wishes. Provided the final voltage is in excess of 10V then that's fine.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 03:34:06 PM by cfnisbet »

Offline Turbidaceous

• Participant
  • Living in the UK
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2020, 08:34:38 PM »
You want a large anode and a small cathode. I use 0.4mm copper wire which dips into the water about an inch, maybe just a tad more than an inch.

As for ma, you need to measure it with a multimeter and see what you are actually getting. I'd turn it on for 3 seconds, see the number of miliamps you get, turn it off and put that in your calculation and then turn on the power supply and start your timer.

Etheric Zone 1111

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2020, 08:39:13 PM »
Thank you !

Marco_1

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2020, 09:29:45 PM »
I still have a question ...
Step by step you have explained everything.
Are you not using a stirrer, is it unnecessary?
Or is there enough circulation through the heating plate to eliminate the stirrer?
To what temperature do you heat the process liquid?

A stirrer is not completely necessary if you are using heat. The convection currents in the hot water will stir the fluid adequately. A stirrer is good to have, but they are expensive. Buy one if you wish, but I only use mine if I am brewing Ionic Silver Oxide cold. The temperature does not have to be exact, but I would use in excess of 140 degrees Fahrenheit, but not anywhere near boiling.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 03:34:22 PM by cfnisbet »

RedDogJT

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2020, 10:47:59 PM »
I still have a question ...
Step by step you have explained everything.
Are you not using a stirrer, is it unnecessary?
Or is there enough circulation through the heating plate to eliminate the stirrer?
To what temperature do you heat the process liquid?
A stirrer is not completely necessary if you are using heat. The convection currents in the hot water will stir the fluid adequately. A stirrer is good to have, but they are expensive. Buy one if you wish, but I only use mine if I am brewing Ionic Silver Oxide cold. The temperature does not have to be exact, but I would use in excess of 140 degrees Fahrenheit, but not anywhere near boiling.

What about using your brilliant idea for a filter siphon attached to a small air pump to push air into the mix slowly?  Then its already in place and you can use it as a siphon once done?  (great idea on that filter stone btw)

I would suggest that if you want to stir the water faster than the convection currents, drop a tiny aquarium pump into the water, powered externally. You can buy them for a few pounds/dollars. An airstone will introduce dust and cold air into the reaction vessel. I suppose you could use an airstone or bubbler but it doesn't stir the water effectively.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 03:34:39 PM by cfnisbet »

RedDogJT

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2020, 10:50:44 PM »
Question: Your version of the electrode array is nice if you've got those plastic parts, but correct me if I'm wrong, can't you just use any non-conductive material like a plastic jar lid with rubber cut to fit the top as a gripping material for the anode and cathodes?

Yes, anything similar would do. I have seen people use a plastic lid with a slot cut in it and a wooden clothes peg used to hold the anode.

I really like the lid holder that this guy made for his Ionic silver device:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y12waU8xsW8
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 02:23:00 AM by RedDogJT »

RedDogJT

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2020, 10:53:09 PM »
Can you list the pro's and con's of the silver anode?
I notice many like the bars, is that due to the contact surface area, as opposed to the 12 ga silver wires?
I noticed you flattened them, is that to create more surface area?
Does it also relate to the amount of current you want to run through it?

Right now you could not buy a silver bar if your life depended on it.  Scared money is flooding into all precious metals, but the silver 1 oz bars in particular?!

The maximum surface area is required, so a flat sheet is best to make colloidal silver and easiest to fire-clean afterwards. The current that can be used is dependent on the surface area; higher currents need a larger anode area.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 03:35:13 PM by cfnisbet »

RedDogJT

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2020, 10:55:24 PM »
Question: The blowtorch method for cleaning your silver, is there other methods that work as well? Say a rubber eraser and microfiber cloth?

Always fire-clean. It is the method "invented" by a German scientist who was a member on the forum in the past. As the Americans, Russians and others have found, the most innovative scientists have tended to be German (!)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 09:37:49 AM by cfnisbet »

RedDogJT

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2020, 10:59:44 PM »
Question: I understand the use and theory of a "capping" agent, but the term "reducing agent" I don't get.  Can you explain the mechanism or rationale behind the reducing agents role in creating 14nm size particles of silver?  That was lost on me.

All machines that make colloidal silver by electrolysis do so by making Ionic Silver Oxide which is then reduced to elemental silver in a colloidal form. The reducing agent does this naturally at exactly the size required, approx 14 nm. This size is also lethal to pathogens and yet harmless to all mammalian cells. You can thank God, nature, or biochemistry depending on your preference.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 04:10:13 PM by cfnisbet »

Smoke7

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2020, 12:03:05 AM »
I am using this 3 products that I found on one of the old posts 2-3 years ago. Can't really tell which one is better or safe. Any comments/advice will be appreciated. 

None. Use fire-cleaning.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 03:35:47 PM by cfnisbet »

Smoke7

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2020, 12:49:58 AM »
Thank you