Author Topic: Gelatin and Silver Nanoparticles Revisited  (Read 1026 times)

Offline Art

• Expert
  • Participant
Gelatin and Silver Nanoparticles Revisited
« on: March 14, 2019, 10:09:23 PM »
It has been well established that gelatin works well to help prevent the agglomeration of silver nanoparticles at increasing parts per million, but I want to post  a study that discusses this subject that I'm sure is already posted on this forum in the scientific papers section so that newer members can be clearer on why many of us use the gelatin as part of the process that Kephra has shown to us after his own testing of gelatin. Here is a link to that study:

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0103675

Art

FlyingDutchman

Re: Gelatin and Silver Nanoparticles Revisited
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 07:42:44 PM »
Thanks Art, I have become a big fan of high ppm gelatin capped nano silver.
The other day someone got me confused by saying that gelatin capped nano silver would be categorized as "mild silver protein", is that correct?

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 08:07:50 PM »
The other day someone got me confused by saying that gelatin capped nano silver would be categorized as "mild silver protein", is that correct?
Absolutely not!.  Mile silver protein is silver nitrate and sodium hydroxide mixed into a gelatin mixture.  It is not silver nanoparticles but is high strength ionic silver.  Silver nitrate is very acidic and caustic and the sodium hydroxide was used to neutralize the acidity.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

FlyingDutchman

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 02:32:46 PM »
Absolutely not!.  Mile silver protein is silver nitrate and sodium hydroxide mixed into a gelatin mixture.  It is not silver nanoparticles but is high strength ionic silver.  Silver nitrate is very acidic and caustic and the sodium hydroxide was used to neutralize the acidity.

OK, thanks for that. Seems that someone was even more confused than I was  ;D