Author Topic: Requesting help.  (Read 48359 times)

Offline Art

• Expert
  • Participant
Re: Requesting help.
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2018, 04:44:26 AM »
I've only seen smoke like that coming off of a silver bar anode when not using a stirrer and running at high current. It formed a small pile of gray to black particles directly under the anode. It looks like the current may be higher than what your meter is showing.

Art

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2018, 01:33:12 PM »
Do you also have a voltmeter connected?  Voltage can change during a run, and is very important.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Offline Dean

• Expert
  • Participant
    • Social SilverTron Facebook Portal
« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2018, 09:59:35 PM »
DEAN,

IT WORK AT 40 DEGREES CELSIUS.NO TURBIDITY.STILL WONDERING HOW OTHERS SUCCEED AT HIGHER TEMP.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SujxWyIyVyk

THANKS  ;)
Awesome result Alex! So happy for you! Don't be so worried about how others do it. At the end of the day it's the result that matters and I'll tell you right now, that's an awesome result! It's the guidelines you get from the forum. That's what empowers you. You're own skill and judgement then comes into play.

I couldn't get washing soda to mix clear no matter what I tried, even though others use it exclusively. Results for all to see on my gallery. It looked like milk every time. In the end I gave up and now just exclusively convert regular bicarbonate of soda which has never failed to work so that's now "my way" of doing it. Well done!! Awesome job!

Offline Neofizz

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2018, 06:55:50 PM »
That batch in the video looks perfect Alex, with no discernible turbidity. You are right and temperature has something to do with it. Speed of reduction is temperature dependent. And reducing too fast can cause turbidity. Only run your temperature as high as you need to for solubility purposes. When I do 20 ppm I don't use heat at all now.

Different reducers go at different speeds as well. Glucose is fast. Maltodextrin is slower. And Maltose is even slower. I use Maltodextrin unless I'm making a 320 ppm batch.
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline peri1224

• Participant
« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2018, 01:55:16 AM »
I had a supply of 320 ppm gelatin coated Colloidal Silver most of the time, except recently ran out. Then had to make a batch in a hurry. It didn't look as dark as usual but thought nothing of it. The taste seems to be slightly burnt. Then realized this morning that I forgot to put the glucose. I added only gelatin and the electrolyte. Stupid me.
The color looks fairly ok, but I wonder now what I have. Is it of any use?

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2018, 02:32:41 AM »
You have mostly ionic silver.  Add the reducing agent, and heat it up for a while, you might be able to save it.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
« Reply #66 on: April 27, 2018, 09:21:01 AM »
That batch in the video looks perfect Alex, with no discernible turbidity. You are right and temperature has something to do with it. Speed of reduction is temperature dependent. And reducing too fast can cause turbidity. Only run your temperature as high as you need to for solubility purposes. When I do 20 ppm I don't use heat at all now.

Different reducers go at different speeds as well. Glucose is fast. Maltodextrin is slower. And Maltose is even slower. I use Maltodextrin unless I'm making a 320 ppm batch.
For a long time, I have been suspicious of the speed of reaction (reduction) being the cause of turbidity. The only times I have ever seen a turbid result has been glucose reduction, particularly if there was not enough electrolyte. Slow reduction seems to be a very good idea, unless everything else is perfect.

I agree with not using heat if I am stirring the product mechanically, but I feel that it is essential to stir the bulk fluid somehow.

Offline Neofizz

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2018, 02:47:45 AM »
As Kephra has before stated, it's all a balancing act. We go in the opposite direction when making the 320 ppm colloidal silver, and it still comes out free of turbidity when diluted down to 20 ppm. I have made enough 20 ppm batches with heat and no turbidity as well, and using glucose. But my batches that showed the least Tyndall line were the 20 ppm's run at room temperature with constant stirring, and using maltodextrin to reduce. YMMV

This does sort of get into hair splitting territory so keep that in mind as well.
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

wkp80

« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2019, 07:10:11 PM »
Hi all can anyone point me in the right direction where i can find the diagram for making a constant current regulator that is on this site. I have made one of these before and used it for several years with success. I now want to make one for my friend. Also i can't get onto the store site it is saying forbidden. I have also purchased a silvertron  last year and want another one for a family member.Any help will be appreciated.

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2019, 07:40:49 PM »
Hi all can anyone point me in the right direction where i can find the diagram for making a constant current regulator that is on this site. I have made one of these before and used it for several years with success. I now want to make one for my friend. Also i can't get onto the store site it is saying forbidden. I have also purchased a silvertron  last year and want another one for a family member.Any help will be appreciated.
We don't post circuit diagrams any more. I suggest you PM Kephra if you can't get into the SilverTron store. Otherwise, it would have to be a Bench PSU from eBay or Amazon.

Offline Dean

• Expert
  • Participant
    • Social SilverTron Facebook Portal
« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2019, 09:28:29 PM »
cfnisbet

I have passed links and info to wkp80 via the facebook page. Have explained the situation. re country restrictions.
Hopefully Kephra will pick up and provide up to date position on accessibility.

(I just posted in experts as well regarding this but as it's now picked up here, please ignore that post.)

wkp80

« Reply #71 on: January 18, 2019, 11:03:58 AM »
Thanks for your help on this issue

muhendisane

« Reply #72 on: June 05, 2019, 02:15:16 PM »
I'm preparing for producing the kephra's method.

1- I bought corn syrup yesterday, color is transparent, it has no yellow color, is that mean its light syrup that kephra using and is this the best form of syrup?

2- i need assistant about my silver wire shape and calculating surface area. The submerged area is about 13cm, width is 2,95mm on top and 2,65mm on the bottom (i've used it before for my ex formula) avarage diameter is 2,8mm, i thought i need do the calculation based on the average 2,8mm diameter, is that ok? It's also weighs 11,54 grams.

3- My silver wire has rectangle shaped not rounded, Do i have to multiply the surface area by four? For ex. 13cmx0,28cm=3,64cm² this is surface area for the one side of the wire, it has 4 sides, do i have to multiply by four?

4- I can set the electrode spacing minimum 43mm because of my electrode fixture. Based on my electrode sizes, what is the best electrode voltage for this? I know from article nr. 3, for wider electrode spacing, you need higher voltage. I know 10-12 volts good for 37mm spacing.

5- @cfnisbet says on blog "1 ma per square centimetre of submerged anode area for the suggested current when processing DW hot.
10 ma per square inch of submerged anode area when processing DW hot.
2 or 3 ma per sq inch of anode area when processing cold."

I will do the process cold, after it finished will heat it to the 60°c than will add the RA. In this case what is the current i need with my square wire?

« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 04:52:56 PM by muhendisane »

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
« Reply #73 on: June 05, 2019, 03:35:51 PM »
I would suggest 3-5 mA for all wires or similar-sized anodes.

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #74 on: June 05, 2019, 06:00:46 PM »
Don't bother trying to calculate a current.  Here is the only thing that matters.
If you see brown smoke like clouds coming off the positive electrode, your current is too high, reduce it until you don't notice the smoke.  Use as large of an anode as possible unless you have a magnetic stirrer.

Karo comes in three varieties, "Light", "Dark", and "Lite".  Do not use "Lite".

Electrode voltage should be 3.5 + .175*mm where mm = electrode spacing in millimeters.
So for 43mm spacing, minimum voltage should be 11 volts.