Author Topic: 1st attempt  (Read 1568 times)

Mjock3

1st attempt
« on: October 03, 2019, 11:11:13 PM »
I tried to make a 250ml batch of colloidal gold today. Using the Gold chloride method. It did not turn out right. I went by the recipe listed on the site, however I added the  gelatin to the mixture before heating. I ended up with just a lite pink. Is it because of adding the gelatin before bringing to a boil?

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 12:15:39 AM by Mjock3 »

Offline Neofizz

• Expert
  • Participant
Re: 1st attempt
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 04:00:45 PM »
When ever I have used this method for colloidal gold production I always added the gelatin after the full ruby red colour was produced (after the heating was done). It's still hot enough to add the gelatin after to cap it.

Boiling more might finish the reduction but not really sure. It might be worth a try to save that cup full.
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Mjock3

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2019, 02:06:33 AM »
Thank you for the reply Neofizz, I ended up adding a bit of Karo to it and reheating to boil. A nice ruby color came in, at that point I added more gelatin to cap. Phew I think all is good. Looking forward to trying a larger batch.

Offline Bobby

• Expert
  • Participant
  • "I walk slowly, but I never walk backward" Lincoln
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 01:59:28 AM »
Mjock3,

Thats a great save.  Was there no remaining taste of the chloride?

Bobby
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"  Abraham Lincoln

Mjock3

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 11:04:32 PM »
No there was not.

Brockson

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2019, 10:14:24 AM »
Thank you for the reply Neofizz, I ended up adding a bit of Karo to it and reheating to boil. A nice ruby color came in, at that point I added more gelatin to cap. Phew I think all is good. Looking forward to trying a larger batch.

What did gelatin do exactly to save the day?

Offline Neofizz

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2019, 05:37:49 PM »

What did gelatin do exactly to save the day?

Gelatin didn't save the day. Gelatin seems to slow down the reduction time. This is why I say to not add it till the reduction is complete. It is also why I suggested to boil it more, which would give more time for the gold to reduce.
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline Bobby

• Expert
  • Participant
  • "I walk slowly, but I never walk backward" Lincoln
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2019, 03:18:03 PM »
  I guess since the gold particles had not been karo reduced yet, the gelatin was just hanging around in the mixture with nothing to cap??  No reduction = no capping?

Bobby
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Neofizz

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2019, 04:17:19 PM »
I think (no proof) that the gelatin does not care how many atoms a colloidal particle has built up to and will surround it, and prevent it from combining with others to get to the size that produces the ruby red. More boiling will loosen the grip that the gelatin has and allow more gold atoms to combine.

I get a similar effect when making the 320 ppm gel-capped colloidal silver. It can take up to an hour for the colour to start showing. Other experiments where the reducer was added at the beginning and no gelatin resulted in colour showing in just a few minutes.