Author Topic: Alternative to gold chloride  (Read 1618 times)

muhendisane

Alternative to gold chloride
« on: July 14, 2019, 09:29:19 PM »
I want to produce 250ppm colloidal gold. I already have gold wire and don't want to invest extra for gold chloride solution.

Can you give me a method for this.

Also i want to dilute 250ppm to 40ppm everytime. Is this ok for colloidal gold same like Colloidal Silver?

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
Re: Alternative to gold chloride
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 10:13:22 PM »
I don't think you will be successful  making 250ppm colloidal gold from gold wire.  This requires so much salt that the residual sodium in the solution will destroy the colloid.  You can do it starting with gold chloride, but not with electrolysis.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

muhendisane

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 03:32:46 AM »
I don't think you will be successful  making 250ppm colloidal gold from gold wire.  This requires so much salt that the residual sodium in the solution will destroy the colloid.  You can do it starting with gold chloride, but not with electrolysis.

Ok, so is there a way to make gold chloride solution from gold metal? So I can turn the gold wire to the chloride solution and use it like that.

Offline Gene

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 06:08:02 PM »
The procedure is very simple.

Look here:

https://www.cgcsforum.org/index.php?topic=757.0

What you're actually doing is making gold chloride with electrolysis and then reducing it to the colloid as soon as its produced.

This is really all there is to it.

If Kephra says 250PPM is impossible via electrolysis, I'd believe him.

muhendisane

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 07:47:11 PM »
The procedure is very simple.

Look here:

https://www.cgcsforum.org/index.php?topic=757.0

What you're actually doing is making gold chloride with electrolysis and then reducing it to the colloid as soon as its produced.

This is really all there is to it.

If Kephra says 250PPM is impossible via electrolysis, I'd believe him.

Gene, i don't have any problem with what kephra saying. And I'm not insisting with electrolysis.

I just asked how to prepare 1% GOLD CHLORIDE SOLUTION to use it on 250PPM formula that kephra gave. Because i already have gold wire, i will use it to make 1% gold chloride solution. This solution prepared by melting the gold metal with some chemicals. But i don't know the real procedure of this. This is what i want to know.

Offline Neofizz

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2019, 12:24:43 AM »
I just asked how to prepare 1% GOLD CHLORIDE SOLUTION to use it on 250PPM formula that kephra gave. Because i already have gold wire, i will use it to make 1% gold chloride solution. This solution prepared by melting the gold metal with some chemicals. But i don't know the real procedure of this. This is what i want to know.

The reaction involved with turning pure gold into gold chloride is VERY DANGEROUS! It is highly recommended that unless you have a reasonable level of chemistry knowledge and experience, you should not attempt it. 1% gold chloride solution is basically 1 gram of gold in 100 mls of solution.

I have made gold chloride in a safe environment using the procedure at the following Gold Refining Forum...
http://www.goldrefiningforum.com/~goldrefi/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=19667
Even with chemistry experience I read the entire thread (recommended) before considering it and was still nervous about doing it.

If I didn't have lengthy experience dealing with strong acids I would never have considered it. Dealt with improperly poses a life threat to the handler as well as everyone around him/her. I'm trying to make the point that this is not for an amateur to tackle, it's not recommended, and Kephra's safe methods are recommended.

Hopefully the above thread-link answers your question.

If you do chose to attempt this, you do so at your own risk entirely.
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

10yrs4500

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2019, 09:47:06 AM »
dissolution of as little as a single gramme is no worry, you can dilute the acids so they dont give off a lot of nitrous oxides.
you can place a pot with water and sodium carbonate on stove to gently heat it up, then inside this place a small beaker with the metal along with acids and ontop of this a beaker thats larger or similar, the gasses will then have to bubble through the solution, maybe calcium hydroxide could work - its very effective at filtering acidic gasses, its used for underwater "re-breathers" to remove CO2, as CO2 is removed in this system the pressure is kept constant with oxygen from bottle, its quite efficient and CO2 isnt super acidic. if this method is to be used its a good idea to place additional weight on top of the second beaker so it doesnt dance around
a lazier method would be to place a bit of ammonia solution nearby the metal dissolution as the ammonia vapors would effectively tackle the nitrous vapours

now.. NOCl is quite nasty stuff, but i believe it was NileRed who demonstrated that you can keep 98% H2SO4 on your hands as much as 30 seconds before it will start to actually etch, now as this is my first post i may wanna explain that my username doesnt entail that im 10 years old, ive been dealing with chemistry for 10 years. ive had many acids on my hands a bunch of times, i just stopped wearing gloves. i found it especially funny that many gloves contains toxic chemicals. safety is always a good idea, eyes are very sensitive, but your hands - surprisingly resistant to chemical splashes.

nitrous oxides such as generated from dissolution of gold is serious and inhaling too much can cause death, make no mistake. but to put things into perspective, many cars throw out this gas in very dilute form, when you have dealt with nitrous oxides a couple times you will start to notice the smell coming from cars. the more you know? diluting it down a great bit and cranking up heat would be my best advice, as NOCl is a fairly strong acid it shouldnt depend on concentration to still be able to react, which with weaker acids such as acetic acid would be a game changer.