Author Topic: Requesting help.  (Read 48399 times)

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
Re: Requesting help.
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2017, 01:13:09 PM »
Since karo is not vegan I am left to Cinnamon organic   5ml  in vodka  is it a capping agent . What alternative to gelatin .  As a capping agent is there. Any help would be great. Thank you Happy New year.
As I told you before; glucose, maltose, corn syrup, maltodextrin, cinnamon extract, and gelatin all cap silver.  Glucose is weakest, and gelatin is the strongest, because it is the largest molecule in the list.

Gelatin has the added advantage in that it resists stomach acids because protein digestion is mainly done in the small intestine.

Gelatin is protein.  Any pure protein should work provided it is water soluble, but no one on this forum has done any testing with any protein except gelatin.  Gelatin is the only pure, water soluble, and commonly available source of protein I have found.  Perhaps you can find another.

There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Rettan

« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2017, 05:06:02 PM »
is there a thread which shows examples of turbidity?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 05:23:40 PM by Rettan »

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2017, 06:08:19 PM »
I don't think there is a thread about it, but look at this post:
https://www.cgcsforum.org/index.php?topic=1896.msg16522#msg16522
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Rettan

« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2017, 07:12:15 PM »
Thanks for the reply, but it says that that part of the site is off limits or missing for me :(

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2017, 07:32:08 PM »

Rettan

« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2018, 08:09:56 PM »
Thank you! Judging from those pictures the stuff Im making is very good :)

I was wondering about the brownish residue building up on the anode during hot gelatin colloidal silver production. Would that residue trap silver ions that are released from the anode, and wouldnt they "disappear" back to metallic Ag when I burn them with a gasburner (every 20 minutes or so), and therefore take away from the calculation on how much Ag+ is being released into the solution when calculating from how many mA-minutes you are using?

Here are some questions, thanks for your knowledge Kephra :)

Does the brown stuff trap silver ions?

When burned with a gasburner doesnt it take away from the calculation on how much Ag+ has been released into the solution?

At first when burning with a gasburner the brown residue quickly turns a little bluish in color, and then after a few more seconds with the burner it turns whitish. What has happened when it turns bluish? Do you have to make it whitish? Sometimes the blue doesnt become whitish but instead a little flakey. I guess my question is if any of these color states of the anode somehow inhibit good Colloidal Silver production.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 08:17:29 PM by Rettan »

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2018, 08:31:29 PM »
Silver ions trapped on the anode do not affect the time calculations since they carry no current to the cathode.
That brown stuff on the electrodes is mostly gelatin.
Colors like an oil slick on water, or bird feathers are caused by interference patterns between layers of the material.  It is not caused by different materials.  When it turns white, it is really silver, but the crystalline nature of the surface makes it appear white.

Rettan

« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2018, 08:35:43 PM »
Thats very good, I just noticed a few minutes ago when making a batch, that if I put the gasburner on there for like 40 sec eventually it would all become white. Earlier I have for the most part just burned it until it turns bluish. Does this matter?

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2018, 08:49:47 PM »
Doesn't really matter, it just means that you did not convert all the oxide back to metal.

Rettan

« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2018, 08:53:29 PM »
Great, youre the best Kephra :)

Rettan

« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2018, 10:39:47 AM »
Is there a procedure for using citrate as a capping agent for home use?

The reason Im asking is because alot of the research articles uses it. What are the advantages compared to gelatin?

Offline Dean

• Expert
  • Participant
    • Social SilverTron Facebook Portal
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2018, 08:13:34 AM »
I believe the point in question is how "powerful" the capping agent is. When you start getting up to higher PPM's the strength of the capping agent is a factor and as Kephra has said, gelatine is the strongest of these especially when considering the protective reasoning that we use it. (hydrochloric acid through the gut).

And has also been noted, even your "reducing" agents are technically "capping" but at different levels so to speak.

Aaaahhhh The beauty of science!  ;D

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2018, 06:19:29 PM »
Is there a procedure for using citrate as a capping agent for home use?

The reason Im asking is because alot of the research articles uses it. What are the advantages compared to gelatin?
You could probably use tri-sodium citrate as the electrolyte.  Make a 0.66M solution and use it like sodium carbonate.
This will have the same amount of sodium as 1M sodium carbonate.

I don't know of any advantages over gelatin.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 11:30:23 PM by kephra »

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2018, 12:41:42 PM »
Its hydrogen gas.

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2018, 01:14:55 PM »
Don't trust your pH meter.  To get a pH of 10, you would need 200 times more sodium carbonate which is not possible. Trust your scale.

What is the size of your anode, the diameter of your cathode, and the spacing between your electrodes?