Author Topic: what current / voltage to do electrodissolution and prevent electrolyse  (Read 508 times)

axkman

Hi there!

I was wondering about something. I read some things on the internet about that we need to have the electrodissolution process going to make ionic silver (and reduce it to nano silver particles) and preventing electrolyse from happening. I remember vagely that it said to keep the current below 2ma to prevent electrolyse (bubbles on the electrode) to prevent silver hydroxide and other unwanted stuff being produced.
It was also said that it should keep the electrodes clean of black stuff and keep the solution as clear as it can be.

But now I wonder, do any of you know about it and care to explain a bit? There is so much stuff written out here, the one wants 2 ma, the other uses 15ma. But I searched this forum but i have not seen anyone talking about preventing electrolyse and going purely for electrodissolution.

Does the electrolyse happen at a certain minimal current thru the electrodes? Or maybe at a certain voltage at the silver electrodes?

Thank you for elaborating!!

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
Re: what current / voltage to do electrodissolution and prevent electrolyse
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 01:17:06 PM »
Not really relevant to the matter in hand. The important thing is not to waste silver, so you want a relatively slow run and don't overdo the amperage. A silver wire anode should really run <3mA and a 1 toz silver bar or coin would be best below 15 mA.

Ignore the electrolysis, provided the end result is nice and clear and the colour is good.

axkman

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2020, 08:23:29 PM »
If you put reducing agent in from the beginning of the process, while the electrodissolition/electrolyse is going on.. is it okay to allow more current than 3ma with silver wires?

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2020, 10:18:06 AM »
No, don't use more that 3mA for a silver wire anode; the current will be too high. Everything is a balancing act.

axkman

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2020, 03:10:22 AM »
Thank you!