Author Topic: First time col gold maker.. lots of questions  (Read 1360 times)

vikingnorthman

First time col gold maker.. lots of questions
« on: June 30, 2018, 04:08:05 PM »
Hey,

Ive got a korad 31v constant current machine. Im using a hot plate with a 2000ml beaker. Ive got a pure gold coin and a 14g copper wire. 

I set my machine to 31v and .5 amps. Used a pinch of sea salt, a bigger pinch of sodium citrate and 2 drops of light cornsyrup. And 1600ml of distilled water. With that setup it went from clear to loght blue to purple in about 40 min.

Next time i tried i went with same setup and .1 amps. It went clear to yellow to light green.

Ideas?

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
Re: First time col gold maker.. lots of questions
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 04:53:28 PM »
Hey,

Ive got a korad 31v constant current machine. Im using a hot plate with a 2000ml beaker. Ive got a pure gold coin and a 14g copper wire. 

I set my machine to 31v and .5 amps. Used a pinch of sea salt, a bigger pinch of sodium citrate and 2 drops of light cornsyrup. And 1600ml of distilled water. With that setup it went from clear to loght blue to purple in about 40 min.
You need a lot more corn syrup or maltodextrin to reduce and stabilize the gold. 
Why make such a large batch when you haven't worked out the procedure?
You should really weigh your salt and maltodextrin if you use it.
See: https://www.cgcsforum.org/index.php?topic=757.msg4230#msg4230

Next time i tried i went with same setup and .1 amps. It went clear to yellow to light green.

Ideas?
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.