Author Topic: 3D Printing of Production Vessel Lid  (Read 7344 times)

Offline waboni

• Participant
3D Printing of Production Vessel Lid
« on: April 27, 2020, 05:19:59 PM »
Hi guys, great thread, very informative, I'm just finishing my colloidal silver generator setup using a bench PSU.

This is my Setup:

>BK Precision 9130 Triple Output Programmable DC: this one is a little pricey but have a bunch of features, including: output timer for set and forgive operation.
>Four E's 5 Inch LED Digital Hotplate Magnetic Stirrer
>1 Liter glass beaker
>Glass encased stir bar
>6" x 1" fine silver sheets for anode/cathode
>Own created beaker cover.

I was producing ionic silver using a Silver Puppy device with polarity reversal, so this is the main reason to switch to the "old school" method.

I want  to share with you my cover design just in case you may be interested on it, this one may accommodate many shapes of anodes/cathodes, including Rods, Sheets, Troys with about 1 1/2 inches of separation. Also includes a temp probe holder.

The cover may be 3d printed, I have used nylon 12.

Cheers

RedDogJT

Re: 3D Printing of Production Vessel Lid
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 06:35:07 PM »
Great use of a 3d printer, and great design. I've wondered more and more how to use a 3d printer so its not just a toy.

Offline waboni

• Participant
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 07:06:52 PM »
Great use of a 3d printer, and great design. I've wondered more and more how to use a 3d printer so its not just a toy.

Thanks RedDogJT, I don't actually own a 3d printer, instead of that I paid for printing. I have a trick for those interested in this design or trying something else printed, I may share with you a link from the company I used, they have a referral program that will give you a new user bonus of $50 in printing service (this one will cost around $36 including 3 brass inserts that will be required for the banana jack and the probe holder knob). So if you subscribe using the link you'll be paying just for shipping.

I can also share the Digi-key parts link for the banana jacks and probe holder screw.

Anyone interested please feel free to email me.

waboni

Offline imcool

• Participant
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2020, 05:45:30 PM »
Hi guys, great thread, very informative, I'm just finishing my colloidal silver generator setup using a bench PSU.

This is my Setup:

>BK Precision 9130 Triple Output Programmable DC: this one is a little pricey but have a bunch of features, including: output timer for set and forgive operation.
>1 Liter glass beaker
>Glass encased stir bar

I was producing ionic silver using a Silver Puppy device with polarity reversal, so this is the main reason to switch to the "old school" method.

I want  to share with you my cover design just in case you may be interested on it, this one may accommodate many shapes of anodes/cathodes, including Rods, Sheets, Troys with about 1 1/2 inches of separation. Also includes a temp probe holder.

Cheers
will your 3D printed material for the lid withstand high steam temp? wont it melt or deform the lid ?

Offline waboni

• Participant
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2020, 09:11:22 PM »

will your 3D printed material for the lid withstand high steam temp? wont it melt or deform the lid ?

Hi imcool, according to the material datasheet, the melting temperature for Nylon 12 is 176° Celsius and the deforming point is 163° Celsius.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/xometry.craft/files/specsheets/datasheet-pa-2200-balance-1-0.pdf

This company stocks a lot of different materials like PTFE that resists extreme temperatures, but it is very expensive. I believe  Nylon 12 is enough for water steam.

waboni
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 09:28:02 PM by waboni »

RedDogJT

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2020, 12:34:31 AM »

Thanks RedDogJT, I don't actually own a 3d printer, instead of that I paid for printing. I have a trick for those interested in this design or trying something else printed, I may share with you a link from the company I used, they have a referral program that will give you a new user bonus of $50 in printing service (this one will cost around $36 including 3 brass inserts that will be required for the banana jack and the probe holder knob). So if you subscribe using the link you'll be paying just for shipping.

I can also share the Digi-key parts link for the banana jacks and probe holder screw.

Anyone interested please feel free to email me.

waboni
Can you link me up buddy?  I sent and email to you, but did not hear back.
Also, did you say you created the model?  If so can it be easily modified to fit a 1000ml Pyrex Beaker?

Offline imcool

• Participant
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2020, 02:01:11 AM »

Hi imcool, according to the material datasheet, the melting temperature for Nylon 12 is 176° Celsius and the deforming point is 163° Celsius.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/xometry.craft/files/specsheets/datasheet-pa-2200-balance-1-0.pdf

This company stocks a lot of different materials like PTFE that resists extreme temperatures, but it is very expensive. I believe  Nylon 12 is enough for water steam.

waboni
waboni,can you help me with a material which can withstand 200C in water? I am thinking to 3d print a part for colloidal gold

Offline waboni

• Participant
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2020, 03:44:22 AM »
Can you link me up buddy?  I sent and email to you, but did not hear back.
Also, did you say you created the model?  If so can it be easily modified to fit a 1000ml Pyrex Beaker?

RedDogJT, I haven't received anything yet from you, I will send a message to you instead in order to know if there is something wrong with my profile. The cap was made to fit a standard 1000ml beaker, just confirm that the inner diameter is about 10 cm.

waboni,can you help me with a material which can withstand 200C in water? I am thinking to 3d print a part for colloidal gold

imcool, I was checking the materials available for 3d printing, and found two that are best suited for high temp applications: Ultem 9085 & Ultem 1010 these materials uses FDM technology instead of SLS equipment used with nylon.

I also found that PTFE (Teflon) has excellent thermal properties, but it requires CNC machining that makes it a not affordable solution.

I'm still confused about the 200° Celsius (392° fahrenheit) requirement, based on the fact that water's boiling point is about 100° C, and the cap wouldn't get  as hot as the hotplate surface unless you let it stand directly over it, I believe that a lower temperature rated material won't result affected, but it is always recommended to go farther and if the money is not the issue the mentioned materials will withstand 200°C and even be flame retardant.  ;D

waboni
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 05:41:55 AM by waboni »

RedDogJT

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2020, 05:31:51 PM »
It is possible that the little email message thingy is not working. You've not seen mine and I've not seen your email.  Maybe you can post the link here? :-\
My 1000 No.1000 pyrex beaker is actually 4.75 inches or 12.05cm outside diameter, or 11+cm inside diameter
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 05:38:14 PM by RedDogJT »

Offline waboni

• Participant
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2020, 07:10:33 PM »
It is possible that the little email message thingy is not working. You've not seen mine and I've not seen your email.  Maybe you can post the link here? :-\
My 1000 No.1000 pyrex beaker is actually 4.75 inches or 12.05cm outside diameter, or 11+cm inside diameter

RedDogJT, the cover outer diameter is 12 cm, so It won't be a problem, please use the referral link below from Xometry and sign up, once registered I will be able to see your email address and share the design with you.

https://mbsy.co/llm2Z

this link will be also  valid for anyone who may want to get the $50 credits for 3d printing services at Xometry for making the beaker cover or print anything of your preference.

Disclaimer: I'm not part of Xometry, so I'm not making any kind of publicity for them, but I highly recommend this company as a customer.

waboni
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 09:28:21 PM by waboni »

Smoke7

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2020, 04:46:51 AM »

This is my Setup:

>1 Liter glass beaker
>Glass encased stir bar

Cheers

Would you post the STL file for those who have  3D printer and would like to print?
Thank you.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 09:16:30 AM by Smoke7 »

Offline waboni

• Participant
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2020, 03:40:52 PM »
Would you post the STL file for those who have  3D printer and would like to print?
Thank you.

Hi Smoke7, I would have liked to do that but I fear the design was tailored to some features only available at Xometry printing services, for instance the cover holes was specifically dimensioned to fit their brass inserts, also I will advice you that some materials used for 3d printing at home are not suitable for high temperature applications, tolerances are another issue here unless you own an SLS printer.

I have provided a link  to register and get the promo credits, where you can order this part printed and pay just 12+ usd for shipping.

waboni

Smoke7

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2020, 09:42:37 PM »
Thank you.

Hi Smoke7, I would have liked to do that but I fear the design was tailored to some features only available at Xometry printing services, for instance the cover holes was specifically dimensioned to fit their brass inserts, also I will advice you that some materials used for 3d printing at home are not suitable for high temperature applications, tolerances are another issue here unless you own an SLS printer.

I have provided a link  to register and get the promo credits, where you can order this part printed and pay just 12+ usd for shipping.

waboni

My secure DNS server blocking your link. But thank you anyway.

Offline waboni

• Participant
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2020, 12:27:24 AM »
My secure DNS server blocking your link. But thank you anyway.

Smoke7, please try the expanded url, it could be that your secure DNS server is not capable of resolving the shortened link provided:

https://get.xometry.com/register?mbsy_source=26e348b9-22cf-4c0a-82c8-18d763860dc0&campaignid=32812&mbsy=llm2Z&segmentid=1

waboni

RedDogJT

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2020, 09:34:43 PM »
Okay I signed up and looks like there is a $50 credit referral waiting for you.
So where do I find the lid?