Author Topic: Substitute to karo light corn syrup for making reducing agent  (Read 1516 times)

Arahant

I made a batch of silver coloidal using electrolyte but din’t have the light Karo corn syrup to make the reducer so,I use honey with same proportions to fabricate it.  I use 10 drops in the heating solution (180 degrees F) and went from a light yellow to a nice amber colour.  The reason I use honey is because I couldn’t find the Karo light syrup recommended on YouTube video, and it’s not sold in Canada.  Why use Karo syrup if honey Gives me an  identical finish product?  Need  help since I am a beginner in the field. Thanks!

Offline Neofizz

• Expert
  • Participant
Re: Substitute to karo light corn syrup for making reducing agent
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2020, 09:18:44 PM »
Golden syrup does exist here in Canada but only at the most expensive stores. Like, a cup sized jar cost about $5.
The Crown Lily White corn syrup is available here in Canada at a much lower price and works fine for me.
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline imcool

• Participant
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 12:34:56 AM »

@liam @neofizz @cfnisbet
I got this only, its crystal clear after you open the bottle, is this ok?" thats all I can get in Canada.
Regards

Offline Neofizz

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 02:49:34 AM »
That is the exact same product I use.

Thanks for uploading a picture of it so others know what to look for here in Canada.

This works great when using gel-capping methods for higher ppms.
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

bcboy

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2020, 02:52:39 AM »
Golden syrup does exist here in Canada but only at the most expensive stores. Like, a cup sized jar cost about $5.
The Crown Lily White corn syrup is available here in Canada at a much lower price and works fine for me.
That is what I use too.  ;)

Offline Neofizz

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2020, 03:22:10 AM »
I made a batch of silver coloidal using electrolyte but din’t have the light Karo corn syrup to make the reducer so,I use honey with same proportions to fabricate it.  I use 10 drops in the heating solution (180 degrees F) and went from a light yellow to a nice amber colour.  The reason I use honey is because I couldn’t find the Karo light syrup recommended on YouTube video, and it’s not sold in Canada.  Why use Karo syrup if honey Gives me an  identical finish product?  Need  help since I am a beginner in the field. Thanks!

Please understand that our aim is to create spherical silver nanoparticles of 14 nanometer diameter. The processes outlined here does this but as our leader, Kephra, has said before, "It's a balancing act". A lot of factors determine the final outcome. Kephra more than anyone  being the great chemist that he is has worked hard for a long time to get this "balance" as perfect as possible and can still be done in a modest home lab using common food safe ingredients.

We end up with a high percentage of actual 14 nanometer particles but there is a spread that when graphed, I imagine would resemble a bell curve with the 14 nanometers at the peak. The balancing act involves trying to keep the range of particle sizes as slim as possible while keeping the peak at 14.

Introducing the impurities in honey might shift the peak a little but I worry more about how large the particle range could become.

Assuming there are no particle sizes that are detrimental, it may not be as effective and more would need to be used, but your mileage may vary (YMMV).

Don't get me wrong. We encourage experimentation. The knowledge in this forum would not be where it is if it was discouraged. Try all kinds of things to reduce to a colloid. You might discover something that others haven't.

But it's highly advised to exactly follow the procedures here while learning, especially if a real health concern exists that colloidal silver can take care of.

Arahant

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2020, 06:41:44 AM »
Thank You for your reply!  I am just experimenting with other sugars while searching for a place to get the Karo syrup up here in Canada.  Some people mention the Crown brand but after reading what it’s made of,  I cross it of my list.

Offline imcool

• Participant
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2020, 06:51:47 PM »

can you show a photo or a brand name or link to product from any store in canada, i can try expensive stores nearby

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2020, 06:56:01 PM »
You can also use powdered fructose, glucose or maltodextrin.

My recommendation would be Maltodextrin.

Arahant

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2020, 05:09:58 AM »
If you don't have Karo, how do you know you got an identical product?
Golden syrup would be better.
just by comparing with video I saw on YouTube!

Offline Yoikyasi

• Participant
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2020, 05:05:39 AM »
Kephra mentions in another thread that honey is crap and mentions that most bees feed off gmo..

well for me I live far from any commercial farming and my neighbor has a hive so I feel drawn to this method especially since on the Karo website they say:

Are Karo Corn Syrups derived from GMO ingredients?

Karo Syrups are made from GMO ingredients.

https://www.karosyrup.com/faq.html

I’m surprised this wasn’t considered in choosing a common reducing agent when almost no corn is left that is not GMO...
Maybe because as one said “maltodextrin does not contain any dna“ so therefore the pure glucose and malto must just be pure product? So no worries?

I would like to choose something non-gmo as my reducing agent and hopefully organic as well.
Edit: looks like non gmo light corn syrup exists... hopefully this will work just as well ;)

« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 05:55:25 AM by Yoikyasi »

Offline Neofizz

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2020, 11:57:38 PM »
This is just my opinion but...

People need to look into the history of farmed foods more. Almost everything currently sold has been modified to maximize yield. Doesn't really matter how it's been modified, virtually none of it is the way it used to be. If it was we would not be able to sustain our current population.

The word 'organic' also has been very twisted over the last number of years. When a chemist uses the word organic all it means is that carbon chemistry is involved. Meaning it has carbon in it. All grown/farmed foods are organic.

Much worse insecticides and herbicides have been used in the past than what is used today. How was this assault handled in the past? I still remember my grandparents and how they prepared food. Everything got pealed and the peals went in the trash. If they couldn't peal it they soaked it in water for an extended period of time. Sounds too simple but living into your 80s doing simple stuff like that is just how it was done.

Eating food that isn't real is the actual problem that has everyone in their current sickly state.

"The more that human hands are involved with food preparation (in the home) the healthier it will be."

Kephra is right and there is no GMO in corn syrup. There is no corn in corn syrup.

I love honey, but also realize that it is bee barf.   [Love it! - Admin]
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 09:19:54 AM by cfnisbet »

Offline Yoikyasi

• Participant
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2020, 07:47:11 PM »
Thank you both for your answers! I was successful at my first 20ppm! With the karo... I know that the word 'organic' is pretty twisted at this point and yes Neofizz I have always argued the point that all food should be considered 'organic' and that in fact it's all backwards because I feel like 'all natural' should mean more and organic is just a label that means like u said... carbon in it... so the programming is all weird with that stuff....

I totally get what yall are saying my only worry is about the uneducated people and their answer when I tell them I use karo syrup as a reducing agent...
Maybe I just just say "glucose and maltose"
I may experiment with the non-gmo organic version just so I can say it was derived from an 'organic' source.

Cause for some this comes down to a morality issue more... I understand that karo syrup is refined therefore pure product however in order to produce it I'm sure glyphosate was used. Maybe there is no glyphosate in karo syrup but some bees might have died in the process of growing the corn to make the karo. So therefore by using the product we are promoting gmo and glyphosate...

These arent things I am super worried about but more what I know certain friends would be and would be cause for much debate...

Thank you all again! I'm super happy I was able to succeed at 20ppm true colloidal silver the first time! Everything I am learning here about silver is so fascinating!

Offline tbrod

• Participant

Online kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2020, 10:08:02 PM »
@tbrod:  I'm not sure what your point is.  If its about being made from gmo corn, it doesn't matter in the least because Karo has no genetic material in it.  It just sugars.  Sugar, glucose, maltodextrin, are chemically pure whether made from gmo corn or not.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.