Author Topic: Why A Strong Tyndall Effect Is Bad  (Read 5061 times)

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
Why A Strong Tyndall Effect Is Bad
« on: February 15, 2016, 04:01:05 PM »

Colloidal Silver and the Tyndall Effect

Why Its Bad
Copyright (c) 2014 cgcsforum.org

The common internet misinformation says that a positive Tyndall effect shows that you made good colloidal silver.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  Yes, a Tyndall effect does show that you have a colloid, but not all colloids should have a Tyndall effect.  What people see is not colloidal silver at all, but colloidal silver oxide crystals causes by overcooking their silver.

The Tyndall effect is the scattering of light by particles suspended in the water.  There is a mathematical formula for how strong the scattered light is:

The important thing to note about this formula is that the intensity of the scattered light (Tyndall) is proportional to the 6th power of the particle diameter (d in the equation).  So if the particle size doubles, say from 15nm to 30nm, the intensity of the scattered light will be 64 times greater! (2^6 = 64).  Conversely, 15 nanometer particles will show only 1/64th of the Tyndall effect of 30 nanometer particles. 

Good colloidal silver will have silver particles in the 10 to 20 nanometer size range.  At this size, the Tyndall effect should be extremely faint because 10 to 20 nanometers is far smaller than the wavelength of visible light.  However, crystals of silver oxide grow much bigger than nanoparticles of silver metal, and at 100nm the Tyndall effect will be 15,625 times  stronger than with 20 nm particles and 117,000 times greater than 14nm particles.

So the Tyndall effect for 14nm particles is only 0.0000085 the strength of 100nm particles.

It should be obvious then that the last thing you want to see in good colloidal silver is a strong Tyndall effect. 
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 08:30:48 PM by kephra »
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.