Author Topic: Is Berkey water pure enough to make colloidal silver out of?  (Read 526 times)

Lillyfield

Is Berkey water pure enough to make colloidal silver out of?
« on: February 22, 2021, 07:54:08 PM »
In the past I used a distiller and often got 0-1ppm on a TDS meter before starting my Colloidal Silver batch.
With the Berkey water filter I consistently see 0ppm TDS.
I know the TDS meter doesn't detect everything. Is this water pure enough to make quality colloidal silver?

Offline SaltyCornflakes

• Expert
  • Participant
Re: Is Berkey water pure enough to make colloidal silver out of?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 12:04:14 AM »
If you use a relatively low-mineral, low-TDS spring water or tap water and filter it through Berkey, and you get close to 0 TDS, AND you can make Colloidal Silver without turbidity, you're golden. I have found colloidal gold to be a little more finicky than Colloidal Silver when it comes to contaminants, so your mileage may vary.

Quoting from the Berkey homepage: "The revolutionary Black Berkey® purifier elements are so powerful that they can remove food coloring from water without removing any of the beneficial minerals your body needs." Since minerals are exactly what gives us trouble in colloid production AND what shows up on a TDS reading, I'm surprised your TDS meter shows Berkey water as being close to 0.

Only you can tell us if your product is good, and therefore, if the water is pure enough. Also, making a higher PPM product will more easily demonstrate turbidity. At 20 PPM it's hard to distinguish a perfect product from a "passable" one. But at 50 and higher PPM this gets progressively easier.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 12:10:14 AM by SaltyCornflakes »

Lillyfield

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 12:53:52 AM »
Thanks. I was surprised to find even our tap is close to 1ppm on my TDS meter (Zerowater ZT2), we are in a condo were it must be filtered.
I did notice that generating Colloidal Silver from this water filtered through the the Berkey was getting a cloudy golden in less then an hour with my Micro-Particle Colloidal Silver Generator. I noticed some white mineral precipitate on the rods and shut it off immediately. It's shows over 50ppm on the TDS.

My prior experience with self distilled water was that it wouldn't even get a noticeable tint after 12+ hours. 3 hours were suggested for 5ppm Colloidal Silver which would barely register on the TDS meter. I think I'll pick up some distilled water as I can't see dissolved minerals as being good for high quality Colloidal Silver production.

Offline Josie29

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2021, 05:27:36 PM »
Lillyfield

Just to let you know that the TDS meter can detect particles in water, but it cannot gauge/measure the PPM of the colloidal silver with any accuracy.