Author Topic: Mason Jar capacities  (Read 3027 times)

Offline WayneInPHX

• Expert
  • Participant
  • Witty saying goes here... Ok--> "42"
Mason Jar capacities
« on: August 11, 2016, 12:01:47 AM »
The capacity for mason jars is LESS than it describes.  I.E.  A  1 quart jar will NOT hold 1 quart of liquid for colloidal silver production.

MY QUESTION:  How many OUNCES or ml is the constant set up for?  I know we fill to the line, but what is the exact amount of water the Silvertron is assuming I have in each of these?

1 pint M = ?
1 Quart M = ?

Thanks!
Most of us don’t listen with the intent to understand.  We listen with the intent to reply.  -  From a TED Talk

"I've decided I'm not old. I'm 25 plus shipping & handling!"

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
Re: Mason Jar capacities
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 12:06:09 AM »
Its 2 ounces less...  so a 1 quart jar holds 30 ounces measured at the ring below the threads.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Offline WayneInPHX

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 12:10:31 AM »
Its 2 ounces less...  so a 1 quart jar holds 30 ounces measured at the ring below the threads.

And the Pint jar?
Most of us don’t listen with the intent to understand.  We listen with the intent to reply.  -  From a TED Talk

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 12:15:01 AM »
Its 2 ounces less than whatever the jar size is, providing its regular mouth size. 
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Offline WayneInPHX

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 12:37:50 AM »
COOL BEANS.   Thanks Kep!  8)

Offline Gene

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 07:11:02 AM »
For a quart mason jar, half way up the neck which is where I fill it to is damn near exactly 900ml.

For a pint mason jar its just about 450ml.

These are the only 2 sizes I've used.

The size of the jar is what it holds filled to the very top of the neck and yeah, thats unusable so its kind of a lie that its a quart or a pint as nobody can fill it that full and pop it into a pressure cooker to can anything.  Actually, the band around the bottom of the neck is there as a gauge for how far you can safely fill it if you're canning.

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2016, 11:31:50 AM »
Gene, the question was how the SilverTrons are calibrated for mason jars.  They are calibrated to be filled to the ring below the threads.  This level is 2 ounces less than the specified capacity of the jar.  There is no calibration for 900ml.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 12:19:18 PM by kephra »

IslandMike

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 01:16:44 AM »
@Kephra...

Its 2 ounces less than whatever the jar size is, providing its regular mouth size.

They are calibrated to be filled to the ring below the threads.  This level is 2 ounces less than the specified capacity of the jar. 

So it does not matter if it is wide mouth jar, or the calibrations are only for narrow mouth jars?

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 01:33:10 AM »
Only for regular width jars.  If you use a widemouth, your ppm will be slightly higher unless you fill it above the ring at the bottom of the lid threads.

Offline FromTheDen

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2016, 01:11:14 PM »
I did not realize the SilverTron was calibrated for Mason jars. Is that only for v. 2, or also v. 1, or is it models other than the Elite? Would that be the quart setting or also pint? Maybe it's too long since I read the instructions...

It probably would not work for IS because of saturation problems at room temperature, but if a reducing agent is present it seems like you could just add water later.

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2016, 01:42:21 PM »
Only V2 has mason jar calibrations for pint and quart size regular mouth.
Yes, of course, you can simply add water afterwards to bring the volume up to a pint or quart, or you can just accept the slightly higher ppm.

Offline Dean

• Expert
  • Participant
    • Social SilverTron Facebook Portal
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2016, 09:46:56 PM »
Kephra, at the risk of being stupid here, may I please just confirm,

i have 1 litre jars but having decanted contents taken to the line, I have exactly 900ml against a pyrex measuring jug.

A quick Google shows  quart being .87 of a litre. Much closer to the qty i actually have in my "litre" jar to the ring.

If STE adjusts the setting of a "litre jar" down to the ring contents of .9 (as decanted) would it actually
be an issue if i used the quart setting but use my litre jars?

either that r i don't suppose you have a handy table somewhere that lists the STE values against actual volume? (just to help understand each setting and the adjustments being made)

Dean

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2016, 10:47:02 PM »
The SilverTron settings are for a Quart-MJ setting is for quart mason jar filled to the ring below the threads which is about 2 ounces less than a true quart.

A 1 liter jar filled to 900 ml is quite close enough.