Author Topic: A question about turbidity when using gelatin as capping agent.  (Read 732 times)

mardy

A question about turbidity when using gelatin as capping agent.
« on: September 02, 2020, 05:20:51 PM »
1. Wouldnt the gelatin make the solution appear more turbid, even if the particles are lets say 10 nm? Because of the trapping effect of the gelatin? In effect the gelatin is creating bigger particles (which consists of many smaller lets say 10 nm silver particles with a certain layer of gelatin in between them)?

2. I have read somewhere from Kephra that the finished product when making 320 ppm capped silver is a dark substance resembling coffee. You guys who make 320 ppm capped silver, do you have 0 turbidity when you shine a focused light source through the 320 ppm solution?

best regards

Offline Josie29

• Expert
  • Participant
Re: A question about turbidity when using gelatin as capping agent.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 08:45:07 PM »
Regarding #2 question: My 320 ppm product is very dark, yet very 'clear' ... no turbidity.

Offline SaltyCornflakes

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2020, 10:00:34 PM »
The higher you go in ppm, the more you will see turbidity amplified. A product that's hazy at 20ppm could be a solid grey cloud at 320ppm. I am not worried about minor turbidity at high concentrations. But solid, bright grey "milk" is what you want to avoid. That means a lot of particles are too large to refract the light and instead just catch it.

Gel-capped has a typical, slightly greenish hue that you see when shining a flashlight through. But yes, the base solution is thick black coffee colored.

Offline Gene

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2020, 05:36:16 AM »
I make 120PPM gel capped.

IF you could shine a light through it in the quart mason jar (a really strong one you can), its clear but red, tending towards brown.  Otherwise, it looks opaque.

Don't worry. Dilute a little to 20PPM. If its relatively clear and the color is correct, you're good to go. Don't sweat it.

Offline Bobby

• Expert
  • Participant
  • "I walk slowly, but I never walk backward" Lincoln
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2020, 05:01:21 AM »
  Getting in late to this thread but my 320ppm gel capped in a quart jar is dark red/brown as Gene has described.  It takes a very powerful light to shine through the colloidal silver.  It is very clear also.  When reduced to 20ppm it has no turbidity at all!

Bobby
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"  Abraham Lincoln