Author Topic: First Batch! both rods turned black  (Read 5828 times)

rolfy123

First Batch! both rods turned black
« on: July 09, 2015, 04:51:15 AM »
Greeting all !

Well I made my first batch of colloidal silver today and it was enjoyable. The question I have is both my rods ended up with a black coating on them. did I have too much electrolytes salts in ? when I heated it afterwards to see if I had ionic silver it turned in to a beautiful yellow that looked like concentrated urine lol.  Ok what did I do wrong... any ideas would be wonderful!

TY!
 ;D

UPDATE****
1qt of distilled water
Silverton Elite st for 20ppm 11ma
Sodium Carbonate as salts 20 drops
Used magnetic stirring during process
Pos on Silver rod
Neg on 14 gauge copper rod
Rods 1.5 inches apart
When I started the process the SE (silvertron elite) said I was running 30 volts so I dropped both rods down till the voltage dropped to 11.
Both rods started to become plated so I added more drops (above 20)

« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 03:08:12 PM by rolfy123 »

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
Re: First Batch! both rods turned black
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 08:46:37 AM »
You didn't do anything wrong. It sounds like an excellent batch. You may well get some oxide coating the anode, this doesn't matter much, just fire clean the electrodes afterwards. Well done.

Online kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 11:47:21 AM »
Welcome to the forum.   
Unless you tell us what you did and how you did it, we cannot offer any advice for improvement.
You did get colloidal silver, but the negative electrode should not turn black.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Online kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 04:17:11 PM »
How did you make your sodium carbonate solution?
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

rolfy123

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 04:52:31 PM »
hopefully I said it right I took Armand Hammer baking powder and baked it in the oven at 350 degrees for an hour

Online kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 04:59:46 PM »
Yes, thats right, but how much did you use for your solution?  Did you weigh it or spoon it?

rolfy123

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 05:15:58 PM »
I measured  outs 12.5 grams of sodium carbonate mixed it with 100 milliliters of distilled water

Online kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 05:29:33 PM »
Perfect except the correct amount is 10.6 grams for converted baking soda.  Then I would not worry about the black.  You colloidal silver looks perfect. 
Do learn how to fire clean you anode so you don't waste any of the silver.  You can just wipe off your cathode with a tissue or paper towel.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 04:24:41 PM by kephra »

rolfy123

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 05:41:12 PM »
Kk ty for all the help. So a nice golden yellow after reducing agent and heat is good? Alot of people have just a slight yellow color..

rolfy123

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 05:49:30 PM »
what happened also if you had more than 20 drops added to the solution?

Offline RickinWI

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2015, 05:59:05 PM »
hopefully I said it right I took Armand Hammer baking powder and baked it in the oven at 350 degrees for an hour

Hopefully you meant Arm & Hammer Baking SODA, not Baking POWDER.  I think there is a difference.
So many VARIABLES & so little TIME.

Online kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2015, 06:03:26 PM »
what happened also if you had more than 20 drops added to the solution?
It will make the solution less stable with time.  20 drops is the best amount. 
Oh, and yes, it should be baking soda, not baking powder... they are two entirely different things.

rolfy123

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2015, 06:06:41 PM »
Yes i believe  it was baking soda come in an orange box but I will double check when I get home tonight

Offline RickinWI

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2015, 06:17:03 PM »
I measured  outs 12.5 grams of sodium carbonate mixed it with 100 milliliters of distilled water
Actually since you baked off the baking SODA (hopefully) then the Sodium Carbonate would be anhydrous (meaning no water left) so I think the correct amount to get 1 molar Sodium Carbonate would be 10.6 gm dissolved to make 100 ml solution.

That means that your Sodium Carbonate is a little over 1 molar (assuming you baked off baking SODA).   If it was Baking SODA that you used then you could get your solution down to 1 Molar by adding a little more DW.

First make sure it was Baking SODA that you used & if so then you can get your solution to 1 Molar by adding 17 ml of DW.

If you used Baking POWDER then you will have to start over & get some baking SODA.

Offline RickinWI

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2015, 06:33:43 PM »
Your colloidal silver in the pic looks like the perfect color for 20 PPM.  Nice & clear too.
The fact that you had plating on the cathode is strange though especially since it seems you added more electrolyte than what is normal. Usually people get more plating if they are using way less electrolyte than they should.

If you decrease the strength of the electrolyte solution (like I suggested above) and just put in 20 drops then I would expect even MORE plating on the cathode.
Hmmm, are you sure the baking SODA was completely baked off? Was it bubbling & then it stopped bubbling by the time you finished baking it?