Author Topic: What happens if we add the reducing agent from the beginning?  (Read 6910 times)

schiaucu

What happens if we add the reducing agent from the beginning?
« on: September 26, 2015, 01:12:26 AM »
I made colloidal silver from some time now and I allways ask myself:
What happens if we add the reducing agent (in my case is glucose) from the beginning, just before the electolysis?
Anyone has ever tryed that?

Online kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
Re: What happens if we add the reducing agent from the beginning?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 01:24:39 AM »
Yes you can do that.  In fact, to make high ppm colloidal silver you must do that.  For 20 ppm, you don't need to.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

schiaucu

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 01:34:56 AM »
Thank you for the answer.
For now I have enough colloidal silver in stock so I believe that I will brew the next batch somewhere in middle October. Then I will try with the reducing agent from the beginning and I will keep you informed with the results.

Offline RickinWI

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2015, 02:25:05 AM »
 I would say that if you do that it might be a good idea to mix your 1 ml/Liter of electrolyte in first & stir for a few minutes & then add your Dextrose (Glucose) and do the electrolysis.

I have never tried that but I have been thinking about trying it too. I think I will next batch. There may be some advantages. Since the concentration of IS would probably never make it over just a few PPM before being reduced to silver particles then maybe the particles will grow slowly & turn out a very uniform size. Hopefully a slightly smaller average size also?

Since the amount of IS in there would never be above just a few PPM you would not need to be concerned at all about the solubility limits of the IS being violated so it could be done at Room Temp or maybe even a slightly lower temp. Once again that slower orderly reduction MIGHT yield a more uniform particle size along with slightly smaller average particle diameter.

The only drawback I could see is the fact that the reducer is being subjected to the electricity. Not sure if that would have some undesirable effect at these low mA?

Has anyone else tried this for regular 20 PPM Colloidal Silver?
So many VARIABLES & so little TIME.

schiaucu

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2015, 02:44:40 AM »
I also believe that they are good chances to have a smaller particle size but just like you, I do not know what will happens with the glucose during the electrolysis.

Online kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2015, 02:51:48 AM »
I have made a lot of 20 ppm colloidal silver reduced with Karo corn syrup added at the beginning.  None of mine was superior to adding it at the end, and it resulted in more silver adhering to my flasks.  The difference is slight though, and perhaps you will get different results. 
I now make all my 20 ppm colloidal silver cold, and add the Karo afterwards.   
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

i_vanovich

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 05:27:46 AM »
Yes you can do that.  In fact, to make high ppm colloidal silver you must do that.  For 20 ppm, you don't need to.
better reduction?
less compound standing?

Online kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 12:56:13 PM »
better reduction?
less compound standing?
No, its not better in any sense.  As I have said before, the very best colloidal silver is made cold with only electrolyte during the electrolysis, then adding the reducing agent after. 

schiaucu

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2015, 10:15:37 PM »
Today I have tried with the reducing agent from the beginning but the results are not like usual. During the process, the voltage between the electrodes increased instead of decreasing. That means the reducing agent (glucose) reduces also the sodium carbonate and the result is less conductivity. The colloidal silver was more turbid as usual (deep amber with a grayish hue) I have noticed instead, that both electrodes was almost clean, anyhow very easy to clean with only a wipe of a cloth.

Online kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2015, 10:33:12 PM »
Thats why I said the best colloidal silver is made without the reducing agent in the water during electrolysis.
Glucose does not reduce sodium carbonate or sodium anything because sodium is extremely reactive with water and always ends up as sodium hydroxide.  The voltage increased for some other reason.

schiaucu

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2015, 10:53:24 PM »
Yes, I wander why because sodium carbonate is the only player on the water conductivity

Online kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2015, 11:19:13 PM »
Yes, I wander why because sodium carbonate is the only player on the water conductivity
Not if there is glucose in the water.  You are assuming that glucose itself does not electrolyze, but I think this is untrue as I have found a patent which relies on electrolyzing glucose or other sugars to make sugar alcohols like glycerin.
http://www.google.com/patents/US2303210

Offline Stagno

• Expert
  • Participant
  • When the answer is simple God is speaking:Einstein
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2015, 08:20:24 PM »
I tried exactly the same experiment the other day trying to make colloidal silver at 60ppm,but stopped the process half way through due to it becoming very turbid. The voltage increased from about 12v at the start to 17v by the time I stopped it. I too am wondering what is going on there.
"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

Marilyn vos Savant

Offline Stagno

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2015, 04:47:16 PM »
I used glucose,exactly the same as schiaucu did

Marilyn vos Savant

Offline Stagno

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2015, 04:57:17 PM »
Yes I'll try that. If I use maltodextrin how strong can I go before it fails? and do you recommend any special procedure,or is it just a case of heating the distilled water and adding a small amount of maltodextrin before electrolysis? 

Marilyn vos Savant