Author Topic: Help with 320ppm please  (Read 3337 times)

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
Re: Help with 320ppm please
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2018, 02:33:45 AM »
200F   200C would be impossible.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Offline Cher Sherwood

• Participant
    • Resonated Rock
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2018, 04:43:06 AM »
Well I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'm feeling deflated :( I feel like I maybe had it too hot to start out because it went dark really really quickly. Probably less than 15 minutes and it was going dark. Now it's black. 1 tablespoon diluted in 250 ml DW isn't the lovely baby shampoo colour like my first 2 batches. It's like the colour of 80ppm from what I see in reference pictures here.

There were no chunks of anything at all in it (Nothing sunk to the bottom and the filter was clean after I filtered into the mason jar. No weird black sludge at the beginning, all the gelatine dissolved properly. I had it too hot maybe? I actually burned myself somehow on 2 fingers. I'm not sure if it was from the glass or steam or how it happened really (I'll live lol I also see the irony of burning myself making colloidal silver and then spraying the burn with colloidal silver so it doesn't get infected).

I am attaching 2 photos. 1 of my beautiful 20 ppm next to possibly 80ppm which is next to something that looks like the devil wouldn't even drink. The other photo is of my temperature gage. I have the blue arrow marked to the spot of the hottest I saw my water temp if that helps. So if 200C is impossible, I almost reached it? 
The only thing you can control in life is your reaction.

Offline Cher Sherwood

• Participant
    • Resonated Rock
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2018, 04:47:33 AM »
Ugh. I guess if the red dot on my temp gage is the bottom I was reading it wrong and my temp would have therefore been opposite the blue arrow and actually just over 200F?

Offline Bobby

• Expert
  • Participant
  • "I walk slowly, but I never walk backward" Lincoln
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2018, 08:51:24 AM »
Your doing a great job Cher.  Your just working out the bugs. It took me a lot longer to get where your at so don't be to hard on yourself.  Carry on  :)

Bobby
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Cher Sherwood

• Participant
    • Resonated Rock
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2018, 03:34:07 PM »
Thanks Bobby. Would you keep this batch? It's perfectly clear, just seems darker than it should be. Should I just dilute it more and keep it? Or maybe it's fine and gelatine capped is darker than non-gelatine capped 20 ppm?

Offline Cher Sherwood

• Participant
    • Resonated Rock
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2018, 05:05:40 PM »
Judging by Kephra's photos of "Gelatin Capped Silver Dilutions. Left to right: 320 160 80 40 20 ppm"(I am attaching for easy reference) I'm starting to think my batch is good!  First pic is his example pic. Second pic (middle jar) is what I think would be 80 ppm if you compare colour, but it's only 15ml 320ppm diluted in 250ml DW, so why doesn't it look more like 20 ppm?

Offline Art

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2018, 06:12:20 PM »
Cher,

The 320 ppm should look like black coffee and from what I can tell from the picture , your batch does!
When you dilute 320 ppm to 20 ppm, it is darker because of the gelatin cap and it looks very much like what you have also! So to me, you have made it correctly with no sediment at the bottom........great!

Art

Offline Bobby

• Expert
  • Participant
  • "I walk slowly, but I never walk backward" Lincoln
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2018, 07:39:37 PM »
Cher,

What Alex and Art is what I would say to you.

I have found that if I cook a batch of 320 at a higher temp than I usually do it is a bit darker and my taste like it was burnt maybe.  I would use it.

Bobby
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Cher Sherwood

• Participant
    • Resonated Rock
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2018, 08:00:32 PM »
YAY! I'm so excited! I do believe I did it!

Can't thank everyone enough for all your help and patience!

Offline Art

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2018, 08:57:27 PM »
When you wiped the cathode (negative electrode) at the halfway point, what did your paper towel look like? If it is gray and a very small amount of debris on paper towel, that is very good!

Art

Offline Cher Sherwood

• Participant
    • Resonated Rock
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2018, 09:05:36 PM »
I did not wipe the cathode. I took it out of the lid and straight under the flame of the blowtorch. It was not crazy black like the batch that went weird with the gelatine. I didn't realize you have to wipe on paper towel. Good to do in the future and move forward or should I go back to wondering if I should keep this new batch?

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2018, 09:17:30 PM »
Keep it.  You only need to wipe off the cathode with a tissue or paper towel.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Offline Art

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2018, 09:19:29 PM »
The batch looks good! Don't throw it.
At the halfway point I rotate the anode (silver bar) 180 degrees and just wipe the cathode with a paper towel and it is usually gray with very little debris meaning that there is minimal plateout and the most of the silver is in suspension. If it is black and cakey, then more plateout and a little less silver in the suspension, but still good.

Art

Offline Cher Sherwood

• Participant
    • Resonated Rock
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2018, 09:54:37 PM »
So you only have to wipe the negative electrode with paper towel and not the positive bullion? Just rotate it. Then at the very end, once the run has completed, that is when you use the blowtorch?

Also, is this only for gelatine capped? For a regular 20ppm non gelatine capped run, would you use the blowtorch on the electrodes (positive and negative) every 20-30 minutes?

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2018, 11:03:53 PM »
So you only have to wipe the negative electrode with paper towel and not the positive bullion? Just rotate it. Then at the very end, once the run has completed, that is when you use the blowtorch?

Also, is this only for gelatine capped? For a regular 20ppm non gelatine capped run, would you use the blowtorch on the electrodes (positive and negative) every 20-30 minutes?

The purpose of cleaning the electrodes is to keep oxides from falling off into the water.  Both electrodes should be cleaned, but the cathode will not collect much debris and only has to be wiped off. 
You can wipe off your anode with a plastic scrubbee, or you can fire clean it if you want.  Fire cleaning reclaims the silver oxide, so you will get more use out of it.  But even if you don't fire clean, a bullion bar is going to last you years.

This applies to both gelatin and non gelatin use.