Author Topic: Plating on sides of glass jar after Karo reduction.  (Read 1019 times)

Offline Pemf silver

• Expert
  • Participant
Re: Plating on sides of glass jar after Karo reduction.
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2021, 01:34:57 PM »
Thank you !

Offline Argentum

• Participant
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2021, 01:57:37 PM »
Hello everyone,

Lately I have been having trouble with silver plating on the glass after the reduction process. The electrolysis process is very clean with no precipitation of silver on the bottom of the jar and a very slight amber coloration of the ionic silver. I add 5 drops of 50/50 Karo/DW and let it set over night at about 60 deg. The jar on the right is the one I made and reduced it in. the one on the left is after I filtered it. Also no debris in filter. Looks to me like 20PPM or more. Is it safe to drink?

I had the same issue, fixed it by reducing/capping in an empty distilled water jug. Can then switch it out with a new one for every gallon (4l actually) made. Saves needing to clean the cell with H2O2. Now I just wipe it dry with a paper towel.

Was the same exact look, a strange purplish color to the cell. This was when making 20 & 40 PPM (hot) and reducing after the electrolysis was complete.

Argentum

Offline Pemf silver

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2021, 02:35:47 PM »
Pemf,
 Thats interesting. Do you process it twice as long then?

Yes I double the formula listed for 1Liter
Yes, but only use the same amount of electrolyte, 1 ml of 1 M Sodium Carbonate per litre of DW. Double everything else.

So for 2 liters 2ml of 1M solution correct ?
Thanks Ed

Offline Pemf silver

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2021, 02:45:47 PM »
2 liters in 40 minutes!
Came out great !
Thanks Kehpra 🙏

Offline Redryder

• Participant
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2021, 05:45:03 PM »
Got it, thanks.

Offline Pemf silver

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2021, 03:09:25 PM »
Pemf,
 Thats interesting. Do you process it twice as long then?

Yes I double the formula listed for 1Liter
Yes, but only use the same amount of electrolyte, 1 ml of 1 M Sodium Carbonate per litre of DW. Double everything else.

Kehpra,
So 2ml of 1M solution for 2 liters of DW?
Thanks Ed

Offline ZeroLabs

• Participant
    • Locally Grown
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2022, 12:04:58 PM »
Did you add the reducing agent before or after electrolysis?
If you add it in first, I think you will have a lot less plating of your jar.
Current limiter will not affect jar staining.
I too get this phenomenon over time and need to rinse with H2O2. Never thought to add the reducer together with electrolyte, but it makes sense that ionic silver would start plating until the reducer is added. Reduce as you go and ionic is not plated. My reason for not mixing the two is I thought I might contaminate the end product to have the reducer during electrolysis. Not so?

Offline Gene

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2022, 03:04:07 AM »
If you're producing greater than 20PPM you MUST add the reducer at the beginning (and the gelatine too if you intend to gel cap the result) AND you must be processing hot (140-150F).  Reducers only reduce quickly at higher temp.

One of the advantages of adding the gelatine up front (you must be processing hot - 140-150F) is that there is some data that suggests this creates the smallest silver particles - close to 10nm which is kind of the holy grail particle size.

The trick with higher PPM production is continuous reduction. The solubility limit of silver oxide in water (IS) at room temp (thats 75F!!!) is about 21-22PPM. If you try to create more than this amount of IS before reduction, some won't go into solution and will precipitate out and never be reduced and now you have a mix of IS and Colloidal Silver and thats not good.

At 140-150F, reducers do their job in maybe 10-15 minutes (so a lag of 10-15 minutes from production of dissolved silver oxide to its reduction) so since the solubility limit of silver oxide in water at 140-150F is around 40PPM and since at reasonable current you can't produce that much IS that quickly, your reduction speed will always outpace your IS production speed and the sky is the limit (within reason).

I routinely produce 120PPM this way (gel capped) and it comes out perfect and crystal clear - just kind of reddish/ruby color due to the concentration every time. Dilute a little to 20PPM and the color is perfect but remember, if gel capping, the color will be a little deeper due to the gelatine. If you're reducing using malto instead of karo, again, the color will be a little deeper as well.

I use karo as I'm gel capping immediately.  Karo is only good if not gel capping up to 20PPM as its not a very strong stabilizer. Above this (I make 80PPM "naked" occasionally) I use maltodextrin which IS a good stabilizer - have made it up to 120PPM and its stayed good for years.  Honestly I've never had any of it ever go bad before I've used it up.

I really can't talk about other reducers. I've had no luck with glucose (dextrose) directly.  No matter what I do, I always get a cloudly result.  I remember seeing a few other guys on the forum making similar statements.  It may have to do with the reduction speed as glucose reduces exceedingly quickly but I've used up all my patience in trying to figure it out and don't want to waste any more silver. I've not tried any others beyond glucose than karo and malto.

I can't say that I've ever had any real plating out of silver on the container. I still do H2O2 clean the containers every 5-10 runs just as a matter of course.

If however, you do notice even mild plating after a run, you must clean that container before the next run because now, that plating acts as a third electrode and that will screw things up and the plating will simply get worse and worse over time and what plates on the inside of the container does not wind up being usable Colloidal Silver (wink).

Also, if you're gel capping you can get a thin deposit on the inside of the container as the stuff cools.  When you either move the product to another container or use up what you've made, cleaning off the gelatine film isn't as taxing as it was originally for me.

What I've learned to do is fill the container with plain old tap water (no reason to waste perfectly good distilled, which BTW, isn't exactly cheap to buy).  I heat the water in a microwave to just hot enough that the jar becomes difficult to touch/hold without a little pain - thats somewhere around 130-140F - more than hot enough to get the gelatine stuck on the inside of the container to bloom and get soft.  I leave it sit like this about 15 minutes, add a couple drops of dishwashing liquid and scrub the inside of the container with a bottle brush - not a lot of work.  It all comes off. Rinse the container a few times with tap water, a couple rinses with an ounce or two of distilled to get all the tap water out, cap the jar and put a piece of masking tape on the lid, writing "clean" on it to indicate, its good to go immediately for another run.

I usually save up mason jars and clean about 6 of them in one session - economy of scale basically.  I'm done in about half an hour elapsed time.

Offline nix2p

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2022, 05:13:23 AM »
Did you add the reducing agent before or after electrolysis?
If you add it in first, I think you will have a lot less plating of your jar.
Current limiter will not affect jar staining.
I too get this phenomenon over time and need to rinse with H2O2. Never thought to add the reducer together with electrolyte, but it makes sense that ionic silver would start plating until the reducer is added. Reduce as you go and ionic is not plated. My reason for not mixing the two is I thought I might contaminate the end product to have the reducer during electrolysis. Not so?

"Zero Labs" - Mark: Happy New 2022 year, fella. Much appreciated work, is going on on your channel

at Youtube. Good to hear you're going strong.

Many, happy trails.

Nix   
"I am too old to die young, and too young to grow up"!
Marty Feldman