Author Topic: Any benefit in this power supply?  (Read 1131 times)

Offline Turbidaceous

• Participant
  • Living in the UK
Any benefit in this power supply?
« on: January 05, 2021, 05:34:29 PM »
I found a power supply boasting 120 volts https://www.amazon.co.uk/POWERBES-Power-Supply-Variable-Adjustable/dp/B08GWX4K8K/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=DC+Power+Supply+4+digit&qid=1609867810&s=diy&sr=1-5

Now if voltage needs to be over 11 volts, would it be advantageous to have monsterously high voltage? Currently I have 30v power supply. If I were to use that other one I mentioned and stick it on 120 volts, using the same exact process and current settings etc, would that mean the voltage across the setup would be higher than my usual 15-20 volts? Or would it be literally no different even if I was pumping out 120 volts from the supply? I am not an electrical guy so I am trying to figure out if there would be a benefit or if the liquid + electrolyte means what I would see/measure would be unchanged no matter if I output 30 volts into the water or 120 volts?

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 09:37:28 AM by cfnisbet »

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
Re: any benefit in this power supply?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 06:22:20 PM »
No, save your money.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Offline imcool

• Participant
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2021, 11:39:12 PM »
I found a power supply boasting 120 volts https://www.amazon.co.uk/POWERBES-Power-Supply-Variable-Adjustable/dp/B08GWX4K8K/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=DC+Power+Supply+4+digit&qid=1609867810&s=diy&sr=1-5

Now if voltage needs to be over 11 volts, would it be advantageous to have monsterously high voltage? Currently I have 30v power supply. If I were to use that other one I mentioned and stick it on 120 volts, using the same exact process and current settings etc, would that mean the voltage across the setup would be higher than my usual 15-20 volts? Or would it be literally no different even if I was pumping out 120 volts from the supply? I am not an electrical guy so I am trying to figure out if there would be a benefit or if the liquid + electrolyte means what I would see/measure would be unchanged no matter if I output 30 volts into the water or 120 volts?

Thanks

It is/was useful as you can use the same supply for colloidal gold which requires  80VDC, I wish i could buy it earlier but its sold out.

Offline Cyberman

• Participant
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2021, 01:52:12 PM »
About necessary power:
I am curious what is necessary.
I am looking at DC adapters to make a simple kit, for people who can't afford lab equipment.
I have an option of 24v and 12v.

Is 12v good enough for basic use?

Also is 1 amp enough?

This unit is 24v, but will 12v work ok, instead?  It would be cheaper.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09CPKTWHG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for any info.

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2021, 02:17:59 PM »
No, its too low, which makes it too difficult to adjust the cell voltage.  Go with the 24 volt or more.  1 amp is far more than needed. 
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Offline tbrod

• Participant
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2021, 06:32:26 PM »
I bought two of these before I got my power supply and they worked great...  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0797LCBYS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

About necessary power:
I am curious what is necessary.
I am looking at DC adapters to make a simple kit, for people who can't afford lab equipment.
I have an option of 24v and 12v.

Also is 1 amp enough?

This unit is 24v, but will 12v work ok, instead?  It would be cheaper.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09CPKTWHG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for any info.

Offline Pemf silver

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2021, 08:15:12 PM »
This module works great for me !

Offline Gene

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2021, 09:15:06 PM »
You're wanting at least 10V across the cell (more is better IF you can get it which basically boils down to what current you run).  At low currents, with 20 drops of electrolyte in the water, it may be difficult to even reach 10V.  When I was running 3ma, I had to back the electrolyte down to about 16 drops just to get the cell voltage high enough.  Several others here had to do the same thing.  Up over 10ma you shouldn't have a problem.

So 10 gone (or whatever your cell voltage winds up) from that wall cube immediately.

Now the limiter. If you're building an LM317 type limiter, figure you need about 3-4V for it to function (seriously).  So now you're up to 13-14V. But, you don't want the limiter to be able to BARELY function.  It needs some headroom (say 3-4V minimum) so now you're up to 16-18V.  See where I'm headed?

I use a 19.3V laptop charger and that works well for me but if you're buying, a small, low current 24VDC wall cube is perfect for beginners.

As far as current, the limiter doesn't use any current. All current that passes through it, passes through the load so if you're running even 20ma, you need a power supply capable of 20ma (0.02amps).  1/2amp is way up in the stratosphere here, so you're good.

Be careful though with thinks like that fancy thing shown. For sure that uses current that doesn't make it through the cell to function so you need to make sure the power supply puts out enough to cover the power needed by the device plus that which you endeavor to run through the cell.  I still think 1/2amp is plenty but if you choose to use other electronics, check to see what their operating current is before you buy a power source.

Offline Magician_88

• Participant
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2022, 09:03:52 PM »
Hello, I recently bought the Silver Edge Colloidal Silver Generator from "https://thesilveredge.com". Was wondering if this is a good generator? Excerpt: "The Micro-Particle Colloidal Silver Generator runs on standard 110 volt household power (you simply plug it into any convenient grounded household wall outlet, just like you’d plug in a toaster), which is then automatically “stepped down” with a built-in transformer to a safe, low-voltage DC current." Thank you.
“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” - George Orwell

Offline Cyberman

• Participant
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2022, 11:25:37 PM »

FlyingDutchman

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2022, 09:48:30 PM »
Be careful though with thinks like that fancy thing shown. For sure that uses current that doesn't make it through the cell to function so you need to make sure the power supply puts out enough to cover the power needed by the device plus that which you endeavor to run through the cell.  I still think 1/2amp is plenty but if you choose to use other electronics, check to see what their operating current is before you buy a power source.

Gene (of course) makes an important point here: You dont want to know what you power source is outputting, you want to know what current actually runs through your anode. This is why it is important to put a multimeter in series, so you always have an accurate reading. My experience is that the current shown on my Korad type adjustable power source, never matches what the multimeter shows.