Author Topic: The presence of Gold Chloride in Colloidal Gold after reduction..  (Read 3692 times)

Offline mraluma415

• Expert
  • Participant
What is a good way to test a reduced colloidal gold batch for the presence of gold chloride. I would like to know for sure how much reducing agent to use based on this ability to confirm how much of the Gold Chloride has been converted? I have read of this on the forum before but cannot seem to find it.
"The art of healing comes from nature, not from the physician. Therefore the physician must start from nature, with an open mind." - Paracelsus

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
Re: The presence of Gold Chloride in Colloidal Gold after reduction..
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 01:41:30 AM »
The usual test is to add stanous chloride to the sample and see if you get a purple reaction.  However, I doubt the test works if you have stabilizers and lots of nanoparticles present.  That's why I use such a high proportion of reducing agents to gold chloride.  Leftover ionic gold is only possible if there is not enough reducing agent present.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Offline mraluma415

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 02:12:11 AM »
I see. So the Stannous Chloride only reacts with gold chloride and not gold nanoparticles, yet if too saturated may pick up on the nano particles as well? If the excess stabilizers can be filtered out with millipore filters and the electron bond holds stability, then more stabilizer is always a plus!
"The art of healing comes from nature, not from the physician. Therefore the physician must start from nature, with an open mind." - Paracelsus

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 02:19:10 AM »
The color of the gold nanoparticles will hide the possible color change from the tin chloride.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.