Author Topic: Silver anode size  (Read 1459 times)

TheresaBee

Silver anode size
« on: January 29, 2018, 05:41:17 PM »
I would like to call upon the collective brains of this lovely forum, and ask for some advice on silver anodes.  I am on the brink of being ready to start colloidal silver production, and I have jeweller friend who can make me an anode from a 3mm thick sheet of pure silver. I thought I would get him to cut it into a 30mm wide 160mm long silver bar, so that I can push it through a slot in the lid without the need for soldering a silver wire on to a bullion. Would this work?

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
Re: Silver anode size
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 05:55:38 PM »
Sure it will work.  Just be sure that it really is pure silver.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Offline Art

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 09:02:17 PM »
After using a silver bar for an anode, I would never use a wire or rod for that purpose any more if I have a choice. The bar is so much more efficient to me, so your idea sounds like a winner!

Art

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 03:43:02 PM »
An excellent idea. You will lose far less silver to bits falling off the electrode and it's just as easy to fire clean. Ask him for a photocopy of his invoice with the price redacted. That way you will have some comeback if he has been supplied with .925 Sterling Silver by mistake, and some reassurance that the product is .999 fine. All my really big electrodes are roughly this size.

KPotter

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 10:18:59 PM »
Would drilling a hole in the plate or a Maple Leaf, and hanging it from the silver wire work out? Looking to increase surface area.

Ken

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 10:23:23 PM »
Sure,  just don't get the lead wire wet, or it will erode and the coin will fall off.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

TheresaBee

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 02:32:49 PM »
An excellent idea. You will lose far less silver to bits falling off the electrode and it's just as easy to fire clean. Ask him for a photocopy of his invoice with the price redacted. That way you will have some comeback if he has been supplied with .925 Sterling Silver by mistake, and some reassurance that the product is .999 fine. All my really big electrodes are roughly this size.

Yep it's .999 pure silver, we triple checked. It cost me more than I wanted to pay mind you (£140) but I have saved the soldering problem and that chunk should outlive me!

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2018, 09:46:44 PM »
There is another way, but it is expensive.

Send it to be hallmarked. You then have complete certainty.

caneman

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 04:30:17 PM »
I use a 5 ounce silver bar, cost me $90 a few years ago, have not regretted it!  Easy to clean, and gives me a wide range of current to use...