Author Topic: Does turmeric use as a reducing or capping agent  (Read 622 times)

ashish.soni

Does turmeric use as a reducing or capping agent
« on: June 15, 2020, 04:20:05 AM »
In india people drinking turmeric milk to boost their immune and it has very good anticipate and anti bacterial property .
So I am wondering is turmeric mix somehow whit silver

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
Re: Does turmeric use as a reducing or capping agent
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 05:44:10 PM »
I might work, make some tincture that same way as cinnamon tincture then try it out.

Offline SaltyCornflakes

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2020, 07:21:03 PM »
Yes, try it. Not all herbal agents will result in a good particle size however. I tried with teasel root and mistletoe, both worked but resulted in color that was too dark.

Offline Gene

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 10:15:21 PM »
Well, I'm not sure.  The active ingredient in turmeric that does the trick from a health perspective is curcumin.  I don't know how much turmeric normally contains nor if it would act as a reducing agent or capping agent.  The problem here is that color ain't gonna tell you anything given turmeric is mustard color, regarding reduction and worse yet, turmeric really doesn't "dissolve" in water.  It forms a suspension which eventually does settle out (at least some of it).

Turmeric is the ground root of a plant that grows in India and surrounding countries. Its a member of the ginger family.  It was originally used as a yellow dye (warning - do NOT get it on anything you value - its permanent) but someone figured out the health benefits and things changed.

I had a microbiologist from a major pharmaceutical company (we all know they don't hire dummies) tell me that EVERY health claim I can find online regarding turmeric is 100% true including it curing cancer. "They" don't want us to know!  They can't make any money selling a $2/# spice.

And recently I read that a major medical college did some research which explains why turmeric (curcumin) cures cancer.  It somehow interferes with metastasis (movement of cancer around your body) and it also interferes with the cancer cells ability to absorb oxygen from the blood - the cancer cells effectively suffocate.

The only problem with taking it for health benefits is that curcumin has very low bioavailability in the body.  If you only take turmeric mixed with water you're lucky if you absorb 3% of the curcumin.  Curiously, if you take like 1/4tsp of ground black pepper with it, the bio-availability goes up to around 60%.  The pepper (actually the "hot" in black pepper - piperine) works as a sacrificial lamb of sorts where the liver chooses to eliminate it first which gives the curcumin that much more time to be absorbed.  I though that was pretty cool and black pepper in its own right is good for us also.

Offline Cyberman

• Participant
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2021, 05:15:22 PM »
A lot of people talk about health benefits of turmeric. They use it for colloidal silver in some Facebook groups.
If I wanted to try turmeric, would this tincture work?

Herb Pharm Certified Organic Turmeric Root Liquid Extract
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000S85FYK/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 03:16:20 PM by Cyberman »