Author Topic: Cathode Plate Out?  (Read 1397 times)

Offline Cher Sherwood

• Participant
    • Resonated Rock
Cathode Plate Out?
« on: May 15, 2018, 07:17:50 PM »
I think that is what this is called? Can someone explain why there is so much build up on my cathode this time? I can see flecks swirling around in the cell. I've never had this much stuff collect on my cathode before. Do I toss this batch? I have 3 hours and 10 minutes left of a 1 ltr batch of 320 ppm gelatine capped. Do I finish the run and filter and see if there is turbidity? What would you do?

The only thing different I did on this batch is use distilled water that I had started to get ready for a batch a few days ago, but realized I didn't have time. So the sodium carbonate solution and reducing agent have been sitting in a sterile, 1 itr mason jar with the lid on for a few days (in about a quarter of a litre of liquid). Today I poured it into my 1 ltr beaker, topped up the water, added the gelatine, let it bloom, heated it in the microwave and started the batch.

Curious to hear what people say about it. Thanks!
The only thing you can control in life is your reaction.

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
Re: Cathode Plate Out?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 07:31:54 PM »
Finish the run and filter it.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Offline Cher Sherwood

• Participant
    • Resonated Rock
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 10:55:56 PM »
I finished the run. Weirdest batch I've ever made. I have no idea what I kept wiping off my cathode. It seems if it was all silver, my bullion bar   would have almost nothing left. It must be silver though. I don't get it. Every 20 minutes...sludge like a thick worm would get wiped off my cathode.

At any rate, I have definitely not made 320 ppm. When diluting 15 ml in 221 ml of DS, I have a much lighter colour - more yellow than amber. Somewhere between 20 ppm uncapped and 20 ppm gelatine capped. There is no turbidity, which surprised me. So I don't feel confident using this. Should I just use it to water plants? What have I made? I'm assuming it has to be from the electrolyte and reducing agent sitting mixed together for a few days? Something went off with that?

In the picture: The jar on the left is what my normal diluted to 20 ppm from 320 gelatine capped looks like. The one in the middle is 15 ml diluted with 221 ml of DS which I just made. As you can see, it is clear, but much much lighter.

Advice on what to do with it would be great and any explanations would be appreciated.

Thanks
Cher

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 11:01:07 PM »
Didn't have the electrode leads mixed up did you?
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Offline Cher Sherwood

• Participant
    • Resonated Rock
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 11:20:08 PM »
I suppose it is possible that happened when I very first turned it on. When I went to do the first wipe and noticed what was happening on my cathode, I had already removed the alligator clips. The thought that they may have been attached wrong did occur to me and since it was such a startling thing to see, I 100% made sure they were right every single time after that. I always put the red to my bullion. It's part of my system. I attach it first and then black to cathode.  I can't see myself doing it backwards because I'm a bit of a creature of habit. Obviously I'm not above error, but I would be surprised if this was what I did.

Offline Art

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 04:30:16 AM »
I had a similar problem when I put too little electrolyte .

Art

Offline Cher Sherwood

• Participant
    • Resonated Rock
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 03:57:28 PM »
Looking at it with a laser pointer- First picture is of 320 ppm gelatine capped diluted to 20 ppm. Second picture is 15 ml of that weird batch mixed with 221 ml of DW. I was shocked to see what appears like way more silver in it. I am assuming what I am seeing are large particles and this would not be safe to drink.

Did you keep your batch that was like this Art? Did you ingest it or use it for something else or toss it?

Offline Art

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 04:46:36 PM »
I didn't use it.

Art

Offline Cher Sherwood

• Participant
    • Resonated Rock
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 05:41:01 PM »
I guess I'll toss it too.

Offline Bobby

• Expert
  • Participant
  • "I walk slowly, but I never walk backward" Lincoln
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 10:33:00 PM »
Cher,

I’ve fed a few batches like that to the plants and there will be more I’m sure.  It’s not a total loss and we do gain the experience.

Bobby

And it was quite a lot of difference!  I guess the TDS meter is useful.  ???
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 10:58:02 PM by Bobby »
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Cher Sherwood

• Participant
    • Resonated Rock
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2018, 10:50:43 PM »
I don't have a lot of plants. I suppose I could water the tulips outside :)
I'm sure there will be more batches over the years. It was shocking to say the least!

Offline xozhang3

• Participant
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2018, 03:03:43 PM »
I had similar issue when starting the 320 PPM process when the solution is cold.  I used some pickle jar which happens to need a lot of time to get warmed up.  Half way through the solution was still clear without any yellow or brown color.  When the solution reached over 90 degree centigrade,I stopped the process and started all over again.  I ended the second process when it is a little over half way when the solution looked as dark as it gets normally when it reaches the end.  In the second process the plating was much less.