Author Topic: Cathode: Copper,silver or gold  (Read 1543 times)

Santiago

Cathode: Copper,silver or gold
« on: March 06, 2016, 04:36:50 PM »
Hello! I'm a new one from Quebec Canada....
I'm interested to make Colloidale Gold, I just ordered from E Bay a 36 V-350 ma. Led Driver,and in a few days I will order a magnetic stirrer- Hot plate.  I don't have gold wire but I have two 1 oz of pure gold bullion.  If I understand well, I can just put the tip of my bullion ( anode ) in the solution and use a copper wire or silver or stainless for a large Cathode.  But what if I use my other bullion for the cathode ( it will be wider, thicker and shorter than a large wire.)
My question is: Have it any difference with the kind of metal I use for the cathode : (gold, silver, copper or stainless) and have it a difference with a wide piece, thick piece, or thin piece, ( I suppose I need more current than a wire!!) or if a wire of any kind made any difference at all ( for the cathode)     

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
Re: Cathode: Copper,silver or gold
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 05:00:57 PM »
It makes no difference unless your system uses reversing current.

Don't use reversing current for colloidal gold

If not reversing current = any metal, any thickness which is stiff enough to allow you to move/fasten it to a given (repeatable) depth. Most people us a piece of household wiring cable with the insulation stripped off.

Santiago

Re: Cathode: Copper,silver or gold
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 01:45:00 PM »
Tank You