Author Topic: colloidal gold nanometer size, shape and color chart  (Read 7081 times)

Offline mraluma415

• Expert
  • Participant
colloidal gold nanometer size, shape and color chart
« on: June 18, 2012, 02:49:28 AM »
This is an excellent chart of the colors, particle sizes and shapes
"The art of healing comes from nature, not from the physician. Therefore the physician must start from nature, with an open mind." - Paracelsus

Offline mraluma415

• Expert
  • Participant
Re: Colloidal Gold nanometer size, shape and color chart
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 02:50:37 AM »
it looks like its about 10 ppm if you want to compare your results.
"The art of healing comes from nature, not from the physician. Therefore the physician must start from nature, with an open mind." - Paracelsus

Offline mraluma415

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 02:54:40 AM »
why is it that most metallic silver producers claim that the TEM imaging does not render optimum results for particle size, yet its seems to be standard and pretty black and white(no pun intended) as to how big the particles are?

kscmac

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 03:00:32 AM »
TEM has to be done in a vacuum, so with the water removed does not give "real life results"

Offline mraluma415

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 03:03:50 AM »
how do I share the source of this article? its a must read study of gold particles on leukemia cells. very comprehensive but too large to post. its a PDF

kscmac

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 03:19:31 AM »
Post the address of pdf file. If on your computer Hypothetically you could open an account on cx dot com and put the PDF in a public file so people can down load it.

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 12:50:54 PM »
mraluma, Can you tell us the sizes of the particles in the photos?
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Offline mraluma415

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 01:02:29 AM »
FIGURE 1. Photographs of aqueous solutions of gold nanospheres (upper panels) and gold nanorods (lower panels) as a function of increasing dimensions. Corresponding transmission electron microscopy images of the nanoparticles are shown; all scale bars ) 100 nm. The difference in color of the particle solutions is more dramatic for rods than for spheres. This is due to the nature of plasmon bands (one for spheres and two for rods) that are more sensitive to size for rods compared with spheres. For spheres, the size varies from 4 to 40 nm (TEMs a-e), whereas for rods, the aspect ratio varies from 1.3 to 5 for short rods (TEMs f-j) and 20 (TEM k) for long rods.

Offline mraluma415

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 01:06:14 AM »
according to this study, rods are not any larger, actually they are within the smaller scale of spheres not exceeding 20nm.  I would love to share the whole study, but its too large to post and it was a pdf given to me by a friend.  Also in this study they are experiemneting with stabilizers that render different shapes of particles.

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

kscmac

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 01:42:37 AM »
Did you see the nano-particles found in moon dust?

Offline mraluma415

• Expert
  • Participant

kscmac

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 03:17:12 AM »
Interesting use of gold

ShivaDestructor

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 10:42:17 PM »
OK I figured out how to google doc it.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=1CzmlIKvjLNWtNZyf4RNp70FA0VN1F5DoLA8mSjAtKPtEWscJ33rvH-NZ3eCO

I checked the toxicity numbers:

The K562 cell lines was flourishing and multiplying after three days in 2x10^-4 M Au nano particle fluid. That is roughly 40 PPM.
The question is how this would apply to a human ingesting it orally. a) how much is the uptake from the stomach b) the elimination rate/half life c) the dispersion in the body.
To reach 40 PPM "body saturation" in a 100 kg person (nice round number) would with 100% absorption and 100% retention need 100 liters of 40 PPM AuNP "solution" (still looking for a CORRECT word - it is not a "solution" - "liquid" sounds strange - is "suspension" the right word?).

However, way before you would get 40 PPM in the body by drinking hundreds of liters of colloidal gold, you would have significantly higher concentrations in the blood first, then the organs.

It is a pity they did not find a toxicity limit. The toxic effects in that paper was due to the "detergent" that they used when forming the nanoparticles.

/J

Dutch H

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2012, 01:52:38 AM »
This week I made an experiment to improve my colloidal gold making process for 500 ml.

Everything else keeping the same, I moved my anode closer to the cathode ( from 4.5 cm to 2.5 cm)
The results were dramatic.

The first batch (4.5 cm) took about 70 min to finish.
It started at 200 ma, slowly dropped to 185 ma, and started to rise again. Left on the photo.

The second batch (2.5 cm) started at 250 ma, dropped then to 200 ma before starting to rise.
This took about 50 min. and the color was a lot darker. Right on the photo.

I guess when the current is at the lowest point, this is a sign the batch is ready.

The shorter distance between the electrodes seems an improvement. At least the process is shorter and the color is darker.
But how about the particle size?

I am puzzled by the fact that the two processes seem to have their own dynamics and are ready at the lowest amp rate.

Could it be that the second batch not just produced more particles but also bigger ones, and that the first has in fact the superior quality.
Because the orange like color suggests smaller particles? 

PS. I found another chart for particle size and color. Very informative, but still impossible to know what my particle size in fact is.
My conclusion;  is it fine as long it is red.

Click and scroll to the bottom.

http://www.ansci.wisc.edu/facstaff/Faculty/pages/albrecht/albrecht_web/Programs/microscopy/colloid.html