Author Topic: Colloidal Silver Color Samples  (Read 65029 times)

Offline Cyberman

• Participant
Re: Colloidal Silver Color Samples
« Reply #150 on: January 18, 2022, 11:18:24 PM »
Very nice. Thank you.

returnToEden

« Reply #151 on: February 18, 2022, 03:54:37 AM »
Does anyone get a brown haze slowly coming from the anode? Is this normal or of concern? I've made a video of my process: https://files.catbox.moe/vbpnjw.mp4 It is 0.7 litre, ~400mg maltodextrin and 0.7mL electrolyte solution; running at around 10mA for 42 minutes. I also have a bit of heat going, keeping solution warm around 30 Celsius roughly. Shooting for 40ppm, the result looks correct: https://files.catbox.moe/rb9b1v.jpg. However I also get this stain on the bottom of the beaker: https://files.catbox.moe/bg0li7.jpg. Are those unreduced silver? Or larger/agglomerated silver? How to prevent this?

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #152 on: February 18, 2022, 01:01:41 PM »
Well the results do not look correct.
What was the voltage across your electrodes?
What is all that particulate matter floating in your water.
The brown haze indicates you have too much current.
The silver stain on the bottom of your flask is another indication of too much current, adnd perhaps insufficient voltage.  It should be cleaned off because it makes a third electrode which is undesirable.
Your negative electrode is way too large.

Read the Articles!

There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

returnToEden

« Reply #153 on: February 18, 2022, 01:56:56 PM »
Well the results do not look correct.
What was the voltage across your electrodes?
What is all that particulate matter floating in your water.
The brown haze indicates you have too much current.
The silver stain on the bottom of your flask is another indication of too much current, adnd perhaps insufficient voltage.  It should be cleaned off because it makes a third electrode which is undesirable.
Your negative electrode is way too large.

Read the Articles!

The voltage were around 4-5 volts. I knew it should be 10 volts but disregarded it as the current was maintained at 10mA anyway. Mentioning my negative electrode, I realize now that may be the cause of the problem for both low voltage and too much current; as I just put the entire electrode in same as the anode. Checking the articles again, yeah I missed the part about maintaining submersion of the negative electrode. I'll try again, this should fix the issue. Though I wonder also, how is it there's too much current when its being maintained to 10mA on the ammeter?

The particulate matter are just little bubbles from the stirring, the camera doesn't make it very clear.

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #154 on: February 18, 2022, 03:20:33 PM »
You must have missed the part about maintaining at least 10 volts across your electrodes.
Also, you should not be producing al those bubbles if your current is really 10ma.
How much reducing agent, and what kind did you use?
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

returnToEden

« Reply #155 on: February 18, 2022, 05:19:27 PM »
You must have missed the part about maintaining at least 10 volts across your electrodes.
Also, you should not be producing al those bubbles if your current is really 10ma.
How much reducing agent, and what kind did you use?

Yes, I missed the memo that the voltage can be controlled by how much you submerge the cathode. The bubbles came from my stirring the maltodextrin and electrolyte in prior to starting the electrolysis process. No bubbles come from the electrodes, just the haze. I used ~400 mg CarboGain.

returnToEden

« Reply #156 on: February 24, 2022, 02:24:16 AM »
New update. I've now maintained 10 volts across electrodes with the cathode submerged ~1cm, and still the brown haze comes off the anode. I dropped the current to 5mA, and submerged the cathode about 2mm to maintain the 10 volts; to shoot for 20ppm instead. Even at 5ma, the haze continues off the anode. Do my electrodes just do not have enough surface area? They are 12 AWG 99.99% silver. Here is the result targeting 20ppm: https://files.catbox.moe/vlsxeb.jpg

In spite of the problematic haze, the resulting color still matches the example color samples. https://files.catbox.moe/ntozr7.jpg

Offline imcool

• Participant
« Reply #157 on: April 03, 2022, 03:07:18 PM »

420ppm 11ma @ 7.5 hours

Kaio

« Reply #158 on: August 17, 2022, 10:02:51 PM »

I don't know why, but my electrode is turning green when I finish making Colloidal silver, before it turned gray (I believe it's correct) is it a problem? I also need to add more reducer to be able to make the reduction. Does it have anything to do with the fact that the electrode is green? Is there a problem? Please if anyone can tell me something about this.

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #159 on: August 17, 2022, 10:51:58 PM »
Something is not right for sure. 
Why is the electrode coiled around the beaker?  This is definitely not a good thing to do as it the electric field is cancelling out.
Green normally means some contamination.
Are you using a copper cathode, and are you sure you had the polarity correct.
Do not use it.

Kaio

« Reply #160 on: August 17, 2022, 11:19:24 PM »
It's the position of the photo that made it look like there was something wrapped around the beaker, but there was only the solution inside. The other photo shows the electrodes. I was checking part by part just now and saw that the Deionized water was at 3PPM. That was probably the problem. Will it cause any problems to take this colloidal silver that was made?. I only use silver electrodes, both on the cathode and anode.

Kaio

« Reply #161 on: August 17, 2022, 11:53:11 PM »
The finished 40PPM silver is looking very nice.

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #162 on: August 18, 2022, 02:32:19 AM »
Yes, that looks very good.

Offline nix2p

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #163 on: August 19, 2022, 02:19:31 AM »
...probably was explained beforehand many times, and I apologize if I misunderstood regarding washing soda:

- do we bake it also like the regular baking sodas?   

Thank you ahead

Nix
"I am too old to die young, and too young to grow up"!
Marty Feldman

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #164 on: August 19, 2022, 02:59:23 AM »
No, you do not have to bake washing soda.  You bake baking soda to transform it into washing soda.