Author Topic: Recommendations for a SilverTron Replacement  (Read 3243 times)

dlipter

Recommendations for a SilverTron Replacement
« on: February 23, 2020, 07:34:17 PM »
In the absence of the SilverTron, are there any other generators to fill the void for home brewers?

Either diy plans or commercial units would be of interest.

Thanks

dlipter

Re: Recommendations for a SilverTron Replacement
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 11:36:36 AM »
Here is an interesting generator:
https://www.silverbearsolutions.co.uk/

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 07:11:37 PM »
I will be doing a short series of posts about making a kit for Colloidal Silver production. It will be coming in the next week or so.

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 08:02:44 PM »
This is a very flawed product. It has a cut-off point, which is impossible to work properly for reduced (true Colloidal Silver) as you will then not know exactly what has been made. It also has a reversing polarity circuit, which seems to be a good idea unless you actually know what is going on. Reversing-polarity doesn't work well for the purity of the mixture, and it is very likely to contaminate the finished product.

dlipter

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2020, 05:31:30 PM »
In disappointed in your response.

The Silver Bear appears to have very similar features as the SilverTron. You select ppm, water volume, and current. The unit starts production and turns off when done. I assume this unit and the SilverTron both use Faraday's equation to calculate processing time.

The polarity reversal can be disabled.

I hope your kit offer will allow us a good alternative to a pre built SilverTron.

Offline Bobby

• Expert
  • Participant
  • "I walk slowly, but I never walk backward" Lincoln
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 07:42:00 AM »
cfnisbet,

That’s good to hear.  We need a good simple schematic with part numbers and directions.  I was hesitant to mention this because of my great respect for Kephra.  But now that the SilverTron store is closed, I feel we have an obligation to our members to help them help themselves.

If there is anything I can do or contribute please let me know.

Bobby
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"  Abraham Lincoln

Offline SaltyCornflakes

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2020, 06:06:50 PM »
Build your own. All you need is a constant current DC, somewhere between 3 and 10 mA, and a voltage ceiling of at least 30ish, which is not that complicated. Recruit a friend with some basic electric engineering knowledge and you should be good. Even I as a newb was able to assemble a nice unit. Cost of material... maybe 20 bucks.

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2020, 08:30:11 PM »
In disappointed in your response.

The Silver Bear appears to have very similar features as the SilverTron. You select ppm, water volume, and current. The unit starts production and turns off when done. I assume this unit and the SilverTron both use Faraday's equation to calculate processing time.

The polarity reversal can be disabled.

I hope your kit offer will allow us a good alternative to a pre built SilverTron.
So did the SilverGen generator that I bought, and it was very poor compared with the SilverTron.

Offline emanwols

• Participant
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2020, 04:25:48 PM »
In the absence of the SilverTron, are there any other generators to fill the void for home brewers?

Either diy plans or commercial units would be of interest.

Thanks
Here is what i use  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfNfgki5-Fw
Combined with a heated magnetic stirrer and the timing formula on this forum(i,e, distilled water in milliliters x desired ppm x .015 / mA = time of production in minutes).
Never gone wrong  hardly ever produced a bad batch.
No fancy over the top equipment needed.
Thank the lord for this forum

Offline Turbidaceous

• Participant
  • Living in the UK
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2020, 03:10:57 PM »
Thanks emanwols. I have added that to my eBay watch list in case I decide to go that route. I like that it has 0.001 resolution. There's a more expensive £100 60 volt one from a different brand I'd like but that's too much money, £70+ is already too much as it is. I am looking forward to seeing the plans/guide that come up for a good home-made constant current system. But at least I know I can fall back on that power supply.

dlipter

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2020, 03:17:46 AM »
This is a very flawed product. It has a cut-off point, which is impossible to work properly for reduced (true colloidal silver) as you will then not know exactly what has been made. It also has a reversing polarity circuit, which seems to be a good idea unless you actually know what is going on. Reversing-polarity doesn't work well for the purity of the mixture, and it is very likely to contaminate the finished product.

cfnisbet,

How do you know the SilverBear is a flawed product?
Did you have one and test it? Is there a technical review online that I can read?

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2020, 05:23:16 PM »
THe cut-off point is done by conductivity; a good Colloidal Silver maker will make Colloidal Silver until you either shut it off or until it has calculated the number of coulombs of energy which has been sent through the anode.

So this machine does neither. The reversing polarity means that you cannot calculate the silver which has been put into solution. So reversing polarity also is a sign of a poor Colloidal Silver maker, and reversing polarity also contaminates the Colloidal Silver.

So the principles of this machine are not those which lead to good Colloidal Silver being made. A good machine will make consistent Ionic Silver Oxide which is constantly reduced until the correct amount of silver has been liberated from the anode.

dlipter

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2020, 04:01:23 AM »
From the Silver Bear literature:

"Silver bear generators measure the actual amount of silver added to the solution 20 times per second. Whatever the temperature and whatever the start PPM, you will get exactly the correct amount of silver added 100% of the time."

They don't say how the silver added to the solution is measured or calculated. I would guess that they are calculating the total silver added to the solution using the formula Q= It (current x time) which is the same method SilverTron uses.

j.geeson

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2020, 09:46:39 PM »
My husband bought me one of this 6 months ago and it has been very good. He looked at lots of different generaters and choose this one because he says it uses a faraday effect (whatever that is) to turn off so I don't have to time it anymore and it always works the same whatever the weather. It has worked well for me.

dlipter

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2020, 10:16:44 PM »
"My husband bought me one of this 6 months ago "

Which one?