Author Topic: Easy way to make Colloidal Gold  (Read 4370 times)

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
Easy way to make Colloidal Gold
« on: August 09, 2011, 03:19:50 PM »
I posted a new article in the Articles section regarding making colloidal gold with sodium carbonate and maltodextrin.
This method does not require a hotplate or continuous stirring.

See http://www.cgcsforum.org/Articles/EasyColloidalGold.html

This is currently my favorite method for home production.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

stevecs

Re: Easy way to make Colloidal Gold
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 07:41:24 PM »
Just got some gold chloride and I tried this method. It's the best ever, simply perfect. Beautiful ruby red, and quite dark too. Now I know that when I was making colloidal gold with gold wire it was coming out  ~20-25 ppm. This method is incredibly simple and fast.

When I got my gold chloride I had some questions, and to my surprise you wrote this article. It has answered all of my questions. Since then only one question has popped up, and that is how much sodium carbonate is actually needed. 12 drops of 1M sodium carbonate comes to 74mg (based on 20 drops being 1ml). In earlier recipes you used 40mg. Why the increase?

Thanks Kephra!

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 08:47:45 PM »
Just got some gold chloride and I tried this method. It's the best ever, simply perfect. Beautiful ruby red, and quite dark too. Now I know that when I was making colloidal gold with gold wire it was coming out  ~20-25 ppm. This method is incredibly simple and fast.

When I got my gold chloride I had some questions, and to my surprise you wrote this article. It has answered all of my questions. Since then only one question has popped up, and that is how much sodium carbonate is actually needed. 12 drops of 1M sodium carbonate comes to 74mg (based on 20 drops being 1ml). In earlier recipes you used 40mg. Why the increase?

Thanks Kephra!
Steve,

I'm glad you like the method. 
As far as how much sodium carbonate, I just kept adding it until I could detect color change.  If it works with less, all the better.  I don't see very well since the 4 eye surgeries I had last year, so I may have missed the actual turning point.    IE: It was based on observation, not calculation.   All that really matters is that the gold chloride reduces, but generally less is better.  I buy sodium carbonate in 50 pound bags to neutralize my well water, and who knows if its pure which could also be a factor.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 04:20:28 PM »
@Stevecs,

Per your comment about the amount of sodium carbonate, I am going to revise the instructions.  The calculated amount would be 23 mg (about 4 drops), but its best to have a surplus to insure their is no gold chloride left.  So I will make the instructions for 8 drops.  Thanks for telling me.  I like it when people pay attention and think for themselves, as I am certainly not infallible :)

stevecs

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 03:42:47 AM »
I'm glad to help when I can. :)

Interestingly sodium carbonate can be a bit tricky due to whether it's anhydrous, monohydrate, or decahydrate! I was fooling a bit with an online molarity calculator and the results that came out seemed to contradict what you wrote... but I was entering the molecular weight as pure sodium carbonate. You had the molecular weight for the monohydrate version.

Whew! Anyway, I'm using Arm and Hammer's Super Washing Soda. Checking online I found it's msds sheet and it seems to be the monohydrate version as they give the molecular weight as 124.

It seems that people use sodium carbonate to maintain their swimming pools and I found a reference to pure sodium carbonate. I got most of this info from a swimming pool forum. Anyone interested can check out the link right below. The msds sheet for the Super Washing Soda is also linked from there.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/arm-and-hammer-super-washing-soda-vs-soda-ash-t26841.html

On a humorous note I had a bit of an adventure trying to find 1ml oral syringes. A local pharmacy had them and when I went in the guy there said he couldn't give me any unless I had some kind of prescription! I called up another pharmacy who had them and they told me that you are allowed by law to buy up to 10 without a prescription. Another pharmacy closer to me said that they had them and when I asked how much for one the guy told me he'd give me them for free! So I got three 1ml oral syringes for free! ;D

Another question, how did you calculate the 23mg of sodium carbonate?

Thank you for looking into the amount of sodium carbonate. I was thinking about asking you more on that and I got the answer before I even asked. Thanks. :)

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 11:55:54 AM »
Where I live, no prescription is needed for the syringe if it doesn't have a needle.  In fact, the one I have cannot even be fitted with a needle.

I calculated the amount of sodium carbonate (Na2CO3.H2O) by:

Assuming the gold chloride was  AuCl3, so three electrons would be needed for each gold atom.
Assuming one molecule of sodium carbonate would activate one molecule of maltodextrin.
Assuming that one molecule maltodextrin would supply one electron.

Calculate the number of moles of gold (approximately .0125 grams divided by 200, the approximate molecular weight of gold) = 0.0000625 Moles
Multiply 0.0000625 Moles of gold by 3 (to obtain 3 electrons) = 0.0001875 Moles of sodium carbonate
Multiply 0.0001875 Moles by 124 (formula weight of sodium carbonate) = 0.023 grams = 23 milligrams

If you start with HAuCl4, then the number is 30 milligrams

You want an excess of sodium carbonate though to be sure all the gold is reduced and that there can be no gold chloride left over.

habana

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 07:37:39 PM »
I posted a new article in the Articles section regarding making colloidal gold with sodium carbonate and maltodextrin.
This method does not require a hotplate or continuous stirring.

See http://www.cgcsforum.org/Articles/EasyColloidalGold.html

This is currently my favorite method for home production.

Hello Kephra,
if you are talking about sodium carbonate - do you mean sodium carbonate Na2CO3 (powder, without water molecules), or Na2CO3.10H2O (the crystalline hydrate form containing 10 molecules of water?)

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 09:08:30 PM »
I used the monohydrate version.  It is what is available in our grocery stores as Arm & Hammer Washing Soda.

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
Make Colloidal Gold Without a Scale
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 10:36:43 PM »
Not all of us are fortunate to have scales which can read tiny amounts necessary to make colloidal gold. 

So here is a way to make colloidal gold without having scales at all.   We will use only volumetric measurements.

What you need:
  • 2 small glass containers for solutions, at least 6 ounce capacity
  • 3 Measuring spoons, one each of: 1/4 teaspoon (tsp), 1 tsp, 1 tablespoon (tbsp)
  • Carbogain powder (maltodextrin)
  • Washing Soda (sodium carbonate)  Arm and Hammer brand is good.
  • 1% Gold Chloride solution (Salt Lake Metals -- eBay)
  • 2 Cup Pyrex measuring Cup
  • 1 Cup Pyrex measuring Cup
  • Plastic spoon or stirring rod
  • Medicine dropper (eye dropper)
  • Distilled water

Procedure:

• Clean glassware and measuring spoons thoroughly.
  • Label or mark the two small containers (at least 6 ounce)  so that you know which is for maltodextrin and which is for washing soda
  • Dissolve 1/4 level tsp maltodextrin in 4 ounces of hot distilled water. Set aside in the marked container.
  • Dissolve 1/4 level tsp sodium carbonate in 4 ounces of hot distilled water.  Set aside in the marked container.
  • Add 7 ounces of distilled water to 2 cup measuring cup.
  • Add 20 drops of the gold chloride solution to the 7 ounces of water.
  • Add 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) of the maltodextrin solution to the 7 ounces of water which now contains the gold chloride, making 8 ounces.
  • Heat the 8 ounces of water in a microwave until it just starts to boil
  • Add 1 tsp washing soda solution to the hot water and stir for 15 seconds.
  • Reheat solution once per minute until it starts to boil then stir a few seconds for at least 5 times
  • Allow to cool.

Be very careful to use the right reagent at the right time in the right amount.  Especially watch tsp and tbsp, teaspoons and tablespoons respectively.  Also, when measuring the dry ingredients, make sure that they are level spoonfuls.

You should now have a cup of 40 ppm colloidal gold.  It should be red in color and crystal clear when looking through it.

Considering the low cost of maltodextrin and sodium carbonate, and todays price for gold chloride ($50 for 50ml on eBay), the total cost of this method will be under $1.10 for 8 ounces of 40+ppm colloidal gold, and most people have the necessary hardware already.

I used my microwave to heat the solution, but a double boiler would be even better.  Just set the pyrex measuring cup in a pan of hot water on you kitchen range.

The maltodextrin  and sodium carbonate solutions may be stored for a few days for later use.  Maltodextrin is a starch product, and will tend to grow things you really don't want to consume.  The sodium carbonate will last a long time if stored in a tightly closed bottle.  I would recommend discarding the unused maltodextrin if you are not planning to use it within a day.  Its cheap.

jackedo

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 09:32:20 PM »
I’m currently collecting the items I need to make colloidal gold by the “An Easy To Make Colloidal Gold” method from this forum. I went out to the Salt Lake Metals to acquire the Gold Chloride as suggested. Salt Lake Metals has a published method that seem even easier to me than the one published here. They suggest mixing the measured Gold Chloride in distilled water and heat to boiling and then add a measured amount of Sodium Citrate and continue for 5 minutes until the color changes from Yellow to Red and that’s it. Seem simple to me. Anyone care to comment on this method.

Jack Sanders

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 09:42:33 PM »
Its always taken  longer than 5 minutes for me.  That is the standard Turkevich method though, and I posted a video showing it on youtube.  The color doesn't change from yellow to red, its yellow to dark purple as the gold forms nanorods, then to red as the rods curl up into a sphere.

You can see the video of this method at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rbz3uLZvPc

One thing you will find though is that the Turkevich method cannot be pushed to as high concentration as the sodium carbonate and maltodextrin. 

Cynthia

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2012, 06:26:08 PM »
If you're trying to consume this amount (12.5mg of gold per day), any reason you couldn't make a week's batch worth at a time and store the rest in a glass container?

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2012, 06:27:15 PM »
Oh sure you can do that. 

Offline mraluma415

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2012, 11:54:08 PM »
have you observed that with cinnamon used in the turkevich method that it goes straight to red?  I dont get purple unless I use citrate. I use the sodium carbonate to bring pH up to activate the cinnamon, rather than the citrate.
"The art of healing comes from nature, not from the physician. Therefore the physician must start from nature, with an open mind." - Paracelsus

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2012, 01:47:50 AM »
Yes, thats what it does for me.  Turkevich though specifically refers to the citrate reduction of gold chloride and was the chemists name who published the procedure.  So using cinnamon is not the turkevich method.  I guess we should call it the Cinnamon Reduction Method so as not to cause confusion.