Author Topic: IS left to sit in daylight  (Read 2547 times)

Offline Art

• Expert
  • Participant
IS left to sit in daylight
« on: November 14, 2015, 07:18:30 PM »
I made a 250 ml jar of ionic silver strictly for the purpose of seeing what would happen if I let it sit in daylight as well as room light. The end result is it went from looking like regular water to a yellow color that looks about the same as a regular Karo reduced Colloidal Silver batch.
My question is whether this jar of IS is now the same as the Karo reduced Colloidal Silver in terms of silver particles or if it contains more ionic silver than a Karo reduced batch? If it is now the same as the Colloidal Silver, can I just use daylight for reduction or does the Karo create a more complete reduction? I didn't use any heat on this batch.

Art
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 10:26:07 PM by Art »

schiaucu

Re: IS left to sit in daylight
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 01:27:44 AM »
Good question. Is this colloidal silver or silver oxide?

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 02:08:27 AM »
He said ionic, which would be dissolved silver oxide.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

schiaucu

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 02:16:32 AM »
Ok, so the dissolved silver oxide has the same color as Colloidal Silver?

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 03:19:04 AM »
No, the dissolved silver oxide is clear like pure water.  However, sunlight (actually blue to ultraviolet) will reduce silver, just like it does in photographic film.  So the yellow color shows that you had photo reduction of the ionic silver.  This was also explained as how photographic film works in the Articles section.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Offline RickinWI

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 06:57:06 AM »
The UV light reduced colloidal silver MAY not be as stable long term as regular Karo reduced colloidal silver. The same holds true for Heat ONLY reduced colloidal silver.

I would think that those 2 would be similar in that respect & also in the respect that neither one is fully reduced to colloidal silver. IE: a mix of colloidal silver & IS.  May be very good for topical use until it starts to get darker.

Karo does have some "stabilization" abilities, whereas the 2 "Naked" forms of colloidal silver mentioned above have nothing.

IMO: Stabilization & Capping are kinda the same yet different.

If you put your light reduced colloidal silver on the shelf next to some Karo reduced colloidal silver & wait a few weeks, you may see a difference.
So many VARIABLES & so little TIME.

Tmac_

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 05:50:06 PM »
I have been doing this for quite sometime now as I dont own a microwave, all directions followed with that single exception. using the Silvertron Mini..I love this little thing..gonna give them as presents this Christmas :)

This Is still colloidal silver correct?

Offline RickinWI

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 08:25:22 PM »
 Yes, it is colloidal silver but it may not be fully reduced from just the light. IE: it may be mostly colloidal silver with some IS remaining.

Why not add a drop of Karo to it & then let it sit in the light. That way you can be sure that it's fully reduced & it may help to improve long term shelf stability (keep it from getting darker).
So many VARIABLES & so little TIME.