Author Topic: first try at Colloidal Silver  (Read 5620 times)

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
Re: first try
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2015, 03:33:15 AM »
The first thing to come off of the anode is a molecule of AgOH which is dissolved in the water and ionizes to Ag+ +OH- which combines with another AgOH to make Ag2O + a water molecule.  In doing so, an electron was added to the anode, allowing another electron to enter the cathode, which creates the current. 

The surface of the anode has Ag+ ions, but they are not soluble by themselves, and neither is AgO- ion which would remain tightly bound to the anode.  The  AgO- ion could presumably bind with another Ag+ to make Ag2O which would enter into solution, but that would also deliver two electrons, one for each silver atom, keeping the current the same.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Offline RickinWI

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2015, 04:10:41 AM »
Thanks for the explanation. In retrospect my little story sounds like a fairy tale now. Not sure where I came up with that one?  ::)

I think I will print out your explanation & keep it handy so I can keep that straight in my head.

Thanks
So many VARIABLES & so little TIME.

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2015, 02:35:37 PM »
Quote from: RickinWI
So the bottom line is that once silver leaves the anode there is no way for it to return there?

So the AgO- ion you mentioned that is tightly bound to the anode is the black silver oxide that we see building up on the anode during electrolysis?
No, the black stuff is Ag2O that did not dissolve.  Since it did not dissolve, it was not a current carrier, and thus not part of the Faradays equation.

There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

anax

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2015, 12:57:37 PM »
Why when making Colloidal Silver the anode gets black? Is it normal?It don't have ontact with the glass.

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2015, 01:04:38 PM »
Read the information in the Articles section.  This has been discussed many times.

anax

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2015, 02:09:56 PM »
This is the same batch , around 20ppm, but I used different reducing agents.The first  is reduced  with fructose (more clear) and the second with glucose. All photos with a light right above the glass. My point is in  solution's blurr.Is it normal? Does yours is blurry too?Or it shoud be crystal clear?

anax

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2015, 02:49:52 PM »
the only clystal clear I got is when I used honey for reducing agent

anax

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2015, 02:50:48 PM »
I think is closer to cor syrup...

anax

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2015, 02:59:38 PM »
From the above I think that depents on reducing agent you use, isn't it?Or not.....?

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2015, 06:19:29 PM »
You might try a 50/50 mixture of glucose and fructose.  Thats what corn syrup actually is.
Honey is also a mixture of different sugars plus dirt and dna from plants.  Personally I would never use honey, nor will I eat it because of the GMO crops the bees feed on in the US.

anax

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2015, 09:14:37 PM »
I think I know what went wrong.I only deluded the monosacharites in warm water. I did not bring the mixture to high temprature so it start to boil and make a syrup...I will make one batch tomorrow to confirm that...