Author Topic: Just got my hot plate  (Read 3027 times)

av00va

Just got my hot plate
« on: December 21, 2015, 08:07:31 PM »
I just got a hotplate and stirrer to produce higher quality colloidal silver. So far, my daily treatments of 1L 20ppm colloidal silver may be inadequate. I was thinking of slowly upping the dosage to treat my chronic Lyme disease. I just have a few questions:

1. Obviously a mason jar isn't lab equipment, and will break under high heat. Does anyone successfuly use a hot plate with a mason jar? Maybe on the lowest setting until the water is warm?

2. Where can I purchase labware which has a mouth large enough to accomodate the electrode spacing necessary for the Silvertron Elite?

3. What is the optimal procedure to produce 20ppm Colloidal Silver? Can I heat my water to 140 F, introduce the electrolyte, reducing agent, and capping agent simultaneously and expect a quality product? How about 40ppm?

Thanks.
av00va

Offline lordkarma

• Expert
  • Participant
Re: Just got my hot plate
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 09:03:59 PM »
I prob wouldn't risk the mason jar but I have found beakers on Amazon that suited my needs quite well. 

Of course do not over look Ebay.  Do a quick google search it's been awhile since I bought equipment.

I should add even though its obv. that you want Borosilicate glass ... some beakers on Amazon and such are plastic.

Cheers!

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 09:29:43 PM »
3. What is the optimal procedure to produce 20ppm Colloidal Silver? Can I heat my water to 140 F, introduce the electrolyte, reducing agent, and capping agent simultaneously and expect a quality product? How about 40ppm?
The optimum way to make 20 ppm is to process at 72F/22C or higher with only the electrolyte in the water, then add the reducing agent after the electrolysis.  For 40ppm keep the temperature up during electrolysis, then add the reducing agent and stabilizer.

Whenever possible, do not add the reducing agent until the end, as you will be electrolyzing it also.

There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Offline PeterXXL

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 09:40:55 PM »
<snip>
Whenever possible, do not add the reducing agent until the end, as you will be electrolyzing it also.

Hmmm... what is the effect of that?

If we use Glucose (or any glucose based reducing agent) which consists mainly of OH-molecules, I cannot see any risk of letting electricity getting through it. What harm can it do?

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 09:44:03 PM »
It can break down.  It can oxidize.  Why do it when you don't have to?
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Offline drewcifer

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 10:13:06 PM »
@av00
I just did a batch of 320ppm gel capped colloidal silver using a mason jar directly on my stove top at the lowest setting. The water gets up to around 160-170 degrees F. Running at 18 mA's for .5L took just over 2 hours. It worked well, after production I simply turned off the heat to allow the jar and it's contents to cool naturally. I'm not suggesting you do this necessarily, I may have just gotten lucky, but it seemed to work fine. The last thing you want to do with normal glass mason jars heated up like this would be to transfer it to a cold surface (that's where I could see you running into problems.)

However, I agree it would be best to use borosilicate glass beakers. I've been looking around online and found some deals to be had in the $8-12 range. Here's a link to one I found on Amazon that seems like a good buy: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P2XSWQY?psc=1

I'm also looking into an affordable heated magnetic stirrer. So far, I found some on Ebay for around $80's from China that I'm considering, anyone have any opinions on affordable heater/stirrers?
'Bohr was inconsistent, unclear, willfully obscure and right'
'Einstein was consistent, clear, down to earth and wrong'
—John Bell
(1928-1990)

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 12:51:25 PM »
... So far, I found some on Ebay for around $80's from China that I'm considering,
I had a Chinese model SH-2 which worked well for a couple years until the heater element burned out.
$80 is a really good price unless they are charging a fortune for shipping. For Example: here is one for $71 but the shipping is $58

To use a mason jar safely, you can use a double boiler.  Put something in the bottom of the pan so the jar does not sit directly on the bottom.  Ideally, the pan would be large enough to hold the contents of the jar if it did break.  Glass breaks because it is not heated uniformly and different areas expand more than others setting up a lot of stress in the glass.   Borosilicate glass has additives which make the expansion coefficient of the glass zero, so heating it does not cause the glass to expand, so no stress is set up.