Author Topic: Help about "real sodium carbonate"  (Read 429 times)

Cecchetti

Help about "real sodium carbonate"
« on: March 26, 2020, 08:39:20 PM »
Hello, great Silver Family
Can someone help me with a question? So far I have used baking soda and I get excellent colloidal silver (20 ppm). Yesterday I bought pure sodium carbonate from a chemical store, but I found:
- in volume it takes up more than sodium bicarbonate because it is lighter. Should I use the same 10 gr per liter?
- When making the carbonate solution with the distilled water, does it heat up, is it normal?

:) Thank you very much for your advice and help. :)

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
Re: Help about "real sodium carbonate"
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 09:24:57 PM »
Weight is weight, not volume. So if you measure out the correct weight, the volume may vary according to the type of crystals, but this does not matter. It is the weight that is important.

The heating up is a sign of an exothermic reaction, and is normal.

Cecchetti

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 05:58:08 AM »
Thanks a lot :)

Offline Gene

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 07:45:14 PM »
Also, you could have saved a bunch of money by simply baking baking soda in an oven or toaster oven for an hour at 350-400F.

Baking soda is not naturally occurring.  Its MANUFACTURED by attaching another carbonate molecule to sodium carbonate which is a mined mineral.

By baking it at a high enough temp for long enough, you drive off the extra carbonate molecule and are left with anhydrous sodium carbonate.

THIS is why its called baking soda.  Used in baked goods, it does the same thing yeast does - gives off carbon dioxide when heated, causing whatever its mixed into, to rise.  The sodium carbonate is left in the baked goods and yes, we eat it but its not nearly enough to cause issues.