Author Topic: Gold Chloride or Gold Bullion?  (Read 4478 times)

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
Re: Gold Chloride or Gold Bullion?
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2016, 04:05:13 PM »
1 The shape is fairly irrelevant, just immerse a tiny bit in the DW. The idea is that a flat strip is easy to make and you would find it difficult to get a piece of pure Gold any cheaper. This is my chosen method, for that reason. You could roll out a small coin if you prefer. If, for some reason, you really want a wire shape, then it would be fairly simple to drill a hole in a piece of hardwood and pour molten gold into the hole, thus giving you a short rod. I can't see the point of going to that effort. A strip is quick and easy to make. Once it is thin enough, you could even use tin snips to cut off a narrower strip,  say about 3mm wide.

2 You are not correct about having to buy the Cookson Gold wire in a full reel. You can buy any length of the wire, 5 or 10 cm,  for example. The reel size is for bulk buyers as it encourages a buyer to take a whole reel if their chosen amount is close to a complete reel. That way, shipping is easier for the company, as they just drop a reel into the packaging and don't have to cut it. The last time I bought from them, I bought 15 cm.

Offline tseax

• Expert
  • Participant
  • Discipulus vita
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2016, 04:44:09 PM »
1 The shape is fairly irrelevant...
Shape no but cross sectional area is: http://www.cgcsforum.org/index.php?topic=3377.msg28387#msg28387
2 You are not correct about having to buy the Cookson Gold wire in a full reel. You can buy any length of the wire, 5 or 10 cm,  for example.
Well that's good news. I'll give them a closer look and likely make a purchase from them soon.

Thanks!
O Custos Professional

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2016, 05:07:14 PM »
I fail to see anything on the link which would imply that the end of a strip just touching the water surface, would in some way be a bad idea.

Offline tseax

• Expert
  • Participant
  • Discipulus vita
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2016, 10:39:55 PM »
I fail to see anything on the link which would imply that the end of a strip just touching the water surface, would in some way be a bad idea.
I can help with that. The way I make colloidal gold is in a 3-liter beaker at ~90-degrees C. I check the process every 20-30 minutes after which time the water level usually drops 1/2" or so. A barely submerged strip-end would no longer be submerged. My current method uses a strip electrode like the one you describe, however I submerge the gold strip (1/2" x 2") about 1/2" below the surface of the water. At intervals I just top off the water level to keep it fully submerged. I didn't realize colloidal gold quality could be negatively affected by electrode surface area, and, it was an electrode left over from my Biophysica CS1-12 machine.

The idea of using wire makes sense to me (if gold chloride is too difficult to acquire). I plan to try submerging a glass tube well below the surface of the water and passing gold wire through the tubing and out the end - only a bit out the end, say 1/2". That way I have no worries about an exposed anode (from evaporation) and I keep the anode surface area minimal as per Kephra's advice. The tubing just acts as insulation and support for the wire in the strong stirrer current of the beaker.
O Custos Professional

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2016, 02:13:17 PM »
tseax:  Perhaps you could take your gold bullion, and coat it with an insulating material like fingernail polish or some other material that is impervious to hot water.  Then leave a small area at the bottom uncoated.  As the electrode wore, you could scrape off a little more insulator from the bottom. 

The coating would have to be something that could later be dissolved with some kind of solvent. 
Colloidal Silver is only a bargain if you make it yourself.

Offline tseax

• Expert
  • Participant
  • Discipulus vita
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2016, 10:38:21 PM »
Sounds like a good idea K. My original Biophysica electrode had something like that - "food grade" epoxy - at the weld point, presumably to prevent electrolysis of whatever weld material may NOT have been gold. The epoxy peeled off in the hot water though. I'll hold that idea for a future purchase now that I've (just, 3-minutes ago) bought 5 M of 0.5mm gold wire from Cookson Gold in the UK (thanks for the tip cfnisbet!).
O Custos Professional

Offline bcboy

• jack of all master of none
  • Participant
  • Okanagan Valley
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2020, 04:13:04 AM »
Or do what I do: buy gold wire from Cookson Gold, (they ship worldwide), or buy a small gold bar I use a ten gram 999 fine bar and roll it out to a flat strip.

The second method guarantees purity and best value for money.

Can you please share the method that you used to flatten your gold bars please? Thanks. :D
:D One day at a time.

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2020, 08:31:01 AM »
Any jeweller should have a rolling mill. If not, then put it inside a piece of cardboard and hammer it flat. Gold is very malleable, to the point that a strip can be rolled out so thin that you can see through it.