Author Topic: Lot of dark stuff on my kathode?  (Read 37 times)

Offline axkman

• Participant
Lot of dark stuff on my kathode?
« on: August 01, 2020, 11:53:15 PM »
Hi there!

I have a question. I made a new batch of 500ml nano silver water which looks beautifull!
I just wonder. I made the cathode electrode 50% shorter than the anode. But.. there is a thick cloud of black stuff (silver oxide?) on it after 2 hours of production on 2ma current.

My glass is on a magnetic stirrer. But I wondered, do you guys know a way to prevent this silver oxide build-up on the kathode?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 12:05:26 AM by axkman »

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
Re: Lot of dark stuff on my kathode?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 08:59:11 AM »
There isn't a way to prevent it, really. Just making the Colloidal Silver correctly will minimise it.

Offline axkman

• Participant
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 12:10:56 PM »
Okay, thank you for your reply.

Is there maybe some advices on how to reduce it? Like should i retract the kathode a bit more? Or should i get my magnetic stirrer a bit more RPM?
Or maybe less current (my current was max 2ma with a current source that prevents more than 6ma current).

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 01:21:13 PM »
Okay, thank you for your reply.

Is there maybe some advices on how to reduce it? Like should i retract the kathode a bit more? Or should i get my magnetic stirrer a bit more RPM?
Or maybe less current (my current was max 2ma with a current source that prevents more than 6ma current).
The electrolyte is the main key to plateout reduction, followed by making the Colloidal Silver slowly at low amperage.