Author Topic: 1000mL Purple Failures  (Read 161 times)

Offline returnToEden

• Participant
1000mL Purple Failures
« on: March 17, 2021, 03:55:05 AM »
After the initial success with the Electrolysis III method for 250mL, I tried to scale to 1000mL by quadrupling the table salt from 120mg to 480mg, and maltodextrin from 400mg to 1600mg, for 2 hours @ ~340mA. My first attempt started to turn purple 30 mins in, so that got aborted. I noticed golden droplets on the steel lid that I kept on the beaker (red flag?).

My second attempt was both a catastrophe(it was unattended for an hour and half) and a revelation of the issue. The steel lid I used was rusted, which I would guess contaminated the solution with rust droplets and ruined the process. So for my third attempt I will 3D print a fixture based on PETG (hopefully it'll stand up to 100C heat) and try again with a different cathode (assuming that this galvanized nail may have been ruined by the rusting above). Before this second attempt, I sterilized the gold wire with a butane torch, and now the wire is much softer though it holds its shape. Would this be an issue?

Offline SaltyCornflakes

• Expert
  • Participant
Re: 1000mL Purple Failures
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 11:00:32 AM »
That lid looks odd. Are you sure there was no current going through there? The lid should only receive steam = distilled water.
Yes, looking at it, it appears to be directly connected to a screwed-in electrode. That's no good. It needs to be isolated. By having it act as an electrode, you evidently get a lot of bad reaction happening which spoils your product. I use a watch glass dish for that reason. A porcelain plate works too.

The DW could also be impure, but consider the other issue first.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 12:16:59 PM by SaltyCornflakes »

Offline returnToEden

• Participant
Re: 1000mL Purple Failures
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 11:20:57 PM »
Ok, I'll try again without a metal cover and report the results. It's not clearly shown in the picture, but the electrodes are isolated through plastic sleeve washers. I had wanted something to make the holes to secure the electrodes over the beaker.

I used Kroger's distilled water.

Offline Norbertked

• NorbertkedUP
  • Participant
    • ép cọc lethycorp
ép cọc lethycorp
« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:31:46 AM »
Tư Vấn Chi Phí Ép Cọc Bê Tông Xây Nhà 3 Tầng, Diện Tích 80m2
khoan coc nhoi HCM
301 Moved Permanently  Click here>>>